Losing System Date & Time

ksiemb

XP/PRO SP3 (updated to current)

This morning the boot process had stopped because of a bad system date (May 2003). - F1 to continue or F2 to enter Setup.

So I entered setup and corrected the date, and Boot processs completed.

Shutdown last evening appeared normal, logging off, saving settings, shutting down.

This happened one other time, under same condition, about a week ago (Normal shut down.)

Event viewer for this morning showed 3 errors, but not obvious as to concerning date/time. And of course, the MS

Knowledgebase has no info.

I am including three errors in event log,

post-75504-0-84721900-1313134466.jpgpost-75504-0-28339900-1313134482.jpgpost-75504-0-25984200-1313134493.jpg

Additionally, have run MBAM & AVAST scans (no detections) and no HW or SW changes recently. And System otherwise

is running without problems. Any Ideas ?

Hello ksiemb:

It's likely your computer's CMOS battery is of the venerable "2032" type. If the battery has never been replaced, then that's a good place to start. I'd replace the battery and watchfully wait for a re-occurrence.

HTH :)

Hello ksiemb:

It's likely your computer's CMOS battery is of the venerable "2032" type. If the battery has never been replaced, then that's a good place to start. I'd replace the battery and watchfully wait for a re-occurrence.

Thanks, 1PW. I thought about that solution, after I had already posted. What horror stories have you heard (iv'e seen a few) about not being able to boot after replacing the battery ?

Hello ksiemb:

If you follow the accepted CMOS battery replacement practices (due diligence) for your system, you are minimizing risks to a manageable level. Yes?

If you don't feel qualified, a reputable computer repair shop is your obvious choice.

In either case, you should have system backups to offset disaster.