Malwarebytes Freezing...

Hi there,

I'm having an issue with Malwarebytes which is not happening with my other computer. I recently bought a netbook from my friend and I noticed he had Malwarebytes on here, and I decided to run a scan for any infections for the netbook. It starts off having brief lags, and than scans normally for about three minutes, but then it hangs and freezes, and Windows tells me it's not responding. Soon enough it would freeze the WHOLE computer and I'd have to do a shutdown with the power button. I tried uninstalling, restarting then, re-installing, no luck. I've went into "Regedit" and deleted some left overs from the uninstall and still nothing. I've also scanned for any viruses or Trojans using another Malware Fighter (IOBIT) just in case that's the answer and found some and deleted them but still no luck. I've used Malwarebytes a few times before, don't know much about it to be fixing it on my own, and I'm planning to buy it soon as well, but I'm hoping to get this fixed first. Thanks for the help.

Hello and welcom, papaniz:

Freezing during scanning can be the result of many different things, ranging from a conflict with your AV program, to other system issues (hardware/software), to infection.

Until someone more expert arrives, please provide a bit more information about your system, so that we can better assist you:

• What is your Operating System (XP, Vista, or Win7)?
  • Is your OS 32-bit or 64-bit?
  • What is your OS Service Pack?
  • What version (if any) of MBAM have you run (current is 1.51.1.1800)?
  • What MBAM database version did you use (current is 7413)?
  • What brand and version of antivirus, antimalware, and firewall software do you have?
  • How do you connect to the internet?
  • Have you recently been infected, or is there any current indication of possible infection (popups, browser redirects, abnormal or slow-running programs, crashes)?

Also, in the interim, you might find some additional information about your question in the FAQ section..

Thanks!

daledoc1

Hi thanks for attempting to help me. I answered the questions below.

What is your Operating System: Windows 7

Is your OS 32-bit or 64-bit: 32 Bit

What is your OS Service Pack? Service Pack 1

What version (if any) of MBAM have you run: 1.51.1.180

What MBAM database version did you use: 7413

What brand and version of antivirus, antimalware, and firewall software do you have: Kaspersky Internet Security

How do you connect to the internet: Wireless

Have you recently been infected, or is there any current indication of possible infection (popups, browser redirects, abnormal or slow-running programs, crashes: None

Hi, Papaniz:

Great - thanks for the info.

What version of KIS -- 2011 or 2012?

And this is a netbook, right?

I do know that several folks are running KIS 2012 on their netbooks without any problems, so I suspect that the freezes might be due to needing to set the reciprocal permissions and exclusions for MBAM and KIS.

The 2012 versions of KIS/KAV are apparently less resource-hogging than the 2011 versions, so you might want to update to this, if you are running 2011 (be sure to uninstall 2011 first, reboot and then install 2012; it is free to do so within your valid license period).

I think the instructions below were written for 2011 versions, but they should be nearly identical for 2012.

If updating to KIS/KAV 2012 and setting the exclusions doesn't resolve the issue, then the next step will probably be to try a clean install of MBAM, setting the exclusions during the installation. But let's try this first.

Please post back and let us know how it works.

Thanks!

daledoc1 (PS If you are wondering, KIS2012 is not officially released/supported in my country yet -- it will be next week. So, I am still running 2011. ;) )

PPS You might want to lose that ginormous image from your signature. ;)

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Kaspersky Internet Security and Kaspersky Anti-Virus on 32 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Kaspersky and click on Settings in the upper right-hand corner
  2. Click on the right-most icon in the upper left to access Detected Threats and Exclusion Rules
  3. Under Exclusions click on Settings...
  4. In the Trusted zone window that pops up click on the Trusted applications tab
  5. Click on the Add button and select Browse
  6. In the browse window that opens navigate to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  7. Double-click on mbam.exe and in the window that pops up, click the box next to each of the items listed in the window so that they are all checked and click on OK
  8. Do the same for each of the following:
    • mbamgui.exe
    • mbamservice.exe

[*]Once that is complete, click on OK to close the exclusions window

[*]Click on Apply at the bottom of the Settings window then click on OK

[*]Close the Kaspersky main window

Set Exclusions for Kaspersky Anti-Virus and Kaspersky Internet Security in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Kaspersky Lab and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Alright thanks I'll do it and see what happens I'm currently running KIS 2011 so I'll try it. And I like the signature :( But I know what you mean. ;) It's gone. :P

KIS 2011/2012 upgrade instructions here:

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=67812

Although I know several computer experts here who've gotten away with not doing so, "best practices" suggests that you temporarily uninstall MBAM (and any other security programs or AVs) before the KIS upgrade. You can reinstall later after KIS2012 is installed.

Technically, the new 2012 installer will automatically remove "incompatible" programs (of which MBAM is no longer a problem BTW), but I always like to install my AV suites clean.

So, uninstall MBAM (running MBAM-clean from here) first, reboot, then uninstall KIS20111, reboot, install KIS2012, activate/update/reboot, then reinstall MBAM.

Don't forget to set up the permissions and exclusions for KIS and MBAM. :)

(This is the plan I will follow on my own rig next week.)

You can choose to keep your activation data during the KIS2011 uninstall, BUT BUT I would make sure you have it backed up on paper or at my.kaspersky.com or somewhere, JIC.

HTH,

daledoc1

PS The only other thing that comes to mind is that 2 GB of RAM is just barely enough to run Win7, even 32-bit. It's a netbook, so I assume that's probably the max. But this might be contributing to the freezing, as well. Upgrading to KIS2012 and clean reinstall of MBAM with the exclusions might not entirely resolve the freezing. But let's see.

Okay thanks for the tip, and I tried the method from your other post, but unfortunately it did not work.

My friend also bought the netbook and it had a built in Windows 7 so I didn't know, I'll probably install Windows XP if it makes it any better. Will that help at all?

Okay thanks for the tip, and I tried the method from your other post, but unfortunately it did not work.

I assume you mean that setting the exclusions with the current set-up (KIS2011 + MBAM) didn't work?

Bummer.

Then it's probably best to try the KIS upgrade -> MBAM reinstall procedure.

I know it seems like a long run for a short slide, but it's the way to go with the least chance of conflicts or compatibility/performance issues.

With only 2 GB of RAM on the netbook, it may be that trying to run both KIS and MBAM PRO on Win7 is more than your rig can handle, but I would give it a shot, as KIS2012 is supposedly MUCH leaner on system resources than 2011.

Mind you, I'm just a home user (who runs both KIS and MBAM, but on a powerful desktop with lots of RAM).

We can see if the more expert folks here have any other ideas....

EDIT: WAIT! I see from your sig that you are running Advanced System Care? I **think** that this program comes up as incompatible with KIS. If I were you, I would uninstall it and see if that improves things.

You might want to have a look around at the KL forums: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showforum=4

HTH,

daledoc1

Okay I'll give it a shot thanks. :)