Computer suddenly stops working(Video Card)

steveie

Hi. So, about 3 days ago, before I left on a small vacation, my computer was working fine as usual. After 3 days, my computer has completely stopped working. When I turned my computer on, I heard a loud fan noise, which was an unfamiliar sound, because my computer is very silent. My monitor was also not working for some reason. I opened the computer up and took a look at the video card. I noticed that the fan on the video card was running at an extremely high speed. So, I pulled it out and noticed that it was very hot. So, I tried using the video plugin on the motherboard for the time being, but it did not work. (This was also the first time I ever tried using the motherboard's video card, so I'm not sure if the motherboard problem or not). I also tried using my brother's monitor, but it did not work. So, I replaced the current video card with an older video card I had in storage. However, this video card also started running extremely fast. It had never made that sound before on my previous computer. What is wrong with my computer? The GPU was a MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB. My motherboard brand is an ASUS M5A88-V EVO AM3+.

hmmm ...

you did not mention any "beeps" during attempted boot-up .

fast fan running is usually part of the "default" in the first stages of boot-up ... it is short in duration and not noticeable normally .

something to try : reset the bios to default conditions . the instruction manual for your motherboard will explain how to do this .

you will want the steps for pulling the cmos cell and either changing a jumper monetarily or pushing a "cmos clear" button switch .

hmmm ...

you did not mention any "beeps" during attempted boot-up .

fast fan running is usually part of the "default" in the first stages of boot-up ... it is short in duration and not noticeable normally .

something to try : reset the bios to default conditions . the instruction manual for your motherboard will explain how to do this .

you will want the steps for pulling the cmos cell and either changing a jumper monetarily or pushing a "cmos clear" button switch .

Hello. Thank you for your post. I understand that fans do run fast during the first stage of boot-up, but this is the first time I've actually heard the fan make such loud noises. My computer is very quiet; you can barely hear the fans. However, when I turned my computer on yesterday, it made such a loud noise, that I was able to hear it in the living room. I did not hear any beeps during boot-up as well. Also, when I try to boot-up, all my monitor blinks "No Signal". So, I plugged the monitor into the onboard video, but I still get "No Signal". I thought it was my monitor, but after I tested with another monitor, it was my computer's fault.