Reduced scan times

Hi guys,

I have been using Malwarebytes for awhile now. I usually perform a Full Scan daily, and each of these scans has taken roughly 1.75 hours or so to complete for the last year or so.

Today, I performed a full scan on my computer as I usually do, and it took only 49 minutes to complete. I repeated this, and the second Full Scan took only 36 minutes to complete.

How can these scans complete so quickly? I have not changed any settings, and again, I have been performing Full Scans for a long time, doing this daily, and the scans always take about 1.75 hours to complete.

None of the scans reports any infections, but could this reduced scan time itself be a sign that my computer is infected?

Thanks in advance for any help with this question.

• Staff

DO you have past logs you can post. Was this all with the same version and same hardware configuration?

As far as multiple scans in the same booted up windows session.. Disk caching occurs so that explains the second scan which was faster.

1.50 and up we improved the scanning times greatly.

Full scans arent necessary most of the time. Quick scans are all that is needed to pickup infections.

DO you have past logs you can post. Was this all with the same version and same hardware configuration?

As far as multiple scans in the same booted up windows session.. Disk caching occurs so that explains the second scan which was faster.

1.50 and up we improved the scanning times greatly.

Full scans arent necessary most of the time. Quick scans are all that is needed to pickup infections.

Thanks for the quick reply. The scans attached below were performed with the same version of Malwarebytes with the same hardware configuration, etc.

These attached logs show the speed up in scan time I'm talking about. (Scans prior to 7/29/2011 took roughly the same time, but I can attach some of them, too if you want/need me to.) Roughly the same amount of objects seem to have been scanned during both scans. I was just suspicious about the drastic speed up from the 7/29/2011 scan to the 8/2/2011 scan. (The next scan I performed after 7/29/2011 was today on 8/2/2011, so this was when I noticed it.)

mbam-log-2011-07-29 (18-06-45).txt

mbam-log-2011-08-02 (17-49-53).txt

• Root Admin

To update cleanly please do the following.

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Thanks for the info. It's odd that I don't have the latest version of MBAM. In the past, whenever I ran an update, MBAM would notify me if a new version of the program was available, and I would always download and install it. For some reason, I haven't gotten a program update notification for the latest version(s) of MBAM through the updater.

In any case, I'll follow your instructions for a clean install of the new version and go from there.

Thanks again for all your help.

Duh...

I checked the updater settings, and I didn't have the box checked to download and install new program updates. I don't remember resetting this, but that's why I didn't get the last few versions. I've got the latest version now, and I may go back and do the clean install as you have provided links for.

In any case, just wanted to let you guys know that my not having the latest version was due to a config problem on my end. (Like you didn't know that already... :-)

You're quite welcome. If you continue to have an issue please let us know.

Take care

Well, I'm still having the same issue of a drastically reduced scan time on a Full Scan of my computer.

I've attached a log file of a scan with the newest version of MBAM that takes about 1/2 as long as a full scan was taking for about a year straight.

Again, is this reduced scan time a cause for concern in and of itself?

Thanks for any help in answering my question.

mbam-log-2011-08-04 (03-38-13).txt

• Root Admin

Well the newer scanner is much faster on some systems and the shown time looks well within reason to be working properly.

Objects scanned: 325088

Time elapsed: 48 minute(s), 35 second(s)

But you do have 2 logs with the 1.50 version that did show about an hour difference between them. Could have been a lot of temp files maybe or some other process running at the time that affected the scan times.

Seems okay though.

There weren't that many temp files that could have been causing the difference, not an hour's worth of scanning anyway.

And I always run the MBAM scan by itself and leave the computer. I don't run it in the background while I'm doing other stuff for example.

If you guys say the elapsed time for the scan of the number of objects scanned seems reasonable, I'll just chalk the difference up to something weird that I just don't understand for now.

Thanks again for your help.