Second malwarebytes folder created in program files (x86) after update

I noticed that in addition to the folder where I installed Malwarebytes on my hard drive with the path "C:/Program Files (x86)/Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware", there is now a second folder in Program Files (x86) named MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE. The only file this second folder contains is one called MBAMEXT.DLL. I deleted this folder once before after I noticed it was created after an update and nothing was in it, but now it's been created again after another update and there is a file in it. I'm wondering why a second Malwarebytes folder is created every time I update, and if files in this folder are supposed to be going into the folder where the program is installed. Anyone help would be appreciated, thanks!

Hello Secondfall,

When you uninstall MBAM while MBAM has been loaded into memory some files cannot be deleted until reboot. MBAMEXT.DLL is one of them. On reboot the file should have been deleted and on re-installation you should have one folder that stores all of MBAM's files. (If this is the given case)

Let's try mbam-clean.exe to ensure you have one folder containing all of MBAM's files.

Please do the following:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

If this continues please let me know.

Thank you.

Hi, thanks for the response.

I should clarify that the folder seems to be appearing after a database update, not a program update (and whenever I've done a database update the program hasn't suggested that I restart my computer). At no point since I've installed Malwarebytes have I uninstalled and reinstalled it.. don't know if that makes a difference.

If the file is supposed to be temporary though, can I just delete that second folder that it is in for now and see if it gets created again on a database update in the future? I'd like to try and avoid uninstalling and reinstalling if it's not absolutely necessary. Or do you think there was some problem with my installation and that reinstalling it in the way you suggested would eliminate the temporary files from showing up again?

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated :)

Hello secondfall,

Excellent! I appreciate the follow-up.

If you have any issues/questions in the future please do not hesitate to create a new topic describing your issue/question in full detail.

Thank you.