Conflicts with other anti-virus programs

Somebody installed Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on my PC during a search for an infection and I'm curious to know if there are any known conflicts with other anti-virus programs (I've been using Avast), or for that matter if I even need avast if I'm going to use Malwarebytes. Thanks

Hello and welcome to MBAM, PBF:

No, there are no conflicts running MBAM with Avast.

MBAM is NOT an antivirus (AV), but rather is a unique program engineered to protect against rogues, fake AVs, trojans and other malware often missed by the major Avs.

It is intended to complement an AV and to run alongside it, not to replace it.

In order to optimize performance, though, it is recommended that one set the reciprocal permissions/exclusions between Avast and MBAM.

The instructions on how to do this are detailed below.

Enjoy your MBAM (and, for added protection, you might wish to consider upgrading to MBAM PRO, which offers real-time protection to help prevent malware from infecting your system in the first place; consumer licenses are valid for a lifetime, 1 license per machine, and are an excellent investment).

HTH,

daledoc1 (not affiliated with MBAM -- just a home user)

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Avast! Antivirus 6 (Free, Pro and Internet Security):

• Open Avast! antivirus and click on REAL-TIME SHIELDS on the left
  • Click on File System Shield on the left and click on Expert Settings
  • Click the Exclusions section
  • Click on Browse next to the blank entry at the bottom of the list (this will be the only entry if no other exclusions have been set yet)
  • In the Select the areas window click on the + next to C:
  • Click the + next to Program Files Note: For 64 bit Windows versions this will be Program Files (x86)
  • Click the box next to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on OK
  • Click OK again
  • Click on Web Shield on the left and click Expert Settings
  • Click on Exclusions and check the box next to URLs to exclude:
  • Type or copy/paste the following address:
    *.mbamupdates.com
  • Click on OK
    Also, for Avast! Internet Security:
  • Click on Behavior Shield on the left and click Expert Settings
  • Click on Trusted Processes
  • Click on Browse next to the blank entry at the bottom of the list (this will be the only entry if no other exclusions have been set yet)
  • Navigate to C:Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click once on mbam.exe and click Open Note: For 64 bit Windows versions this will be Program Files (x86)
  • Do the same for the following files:
    • mbamgui.exe
    • mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on OK

[*]Close Avast! antivirus

Set Exclusions for Avast! Antivirus Free, Pro and Internet Security in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click on the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on avast software and click on OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware