Cannot Launch Malwarebytes after Update

I opened Malwarebytes to perform a scan & it said that I needed to update the program. It then downloaded & installed the newest version but afterwords I could not get it to open (the hourglass comes on briefly & then disappears). I then did an uninstall & downloaded the program setup from your website. After installation it still would not open. I did another uninstall & reboot and then ran mbam-clean with a reboot. I did another setup install & it still would not open.

To see if a virus was blocking it I ran 3 anti-virus scans (Panda + SuperAntispyware + TrendMicro Online Scan). All worked & all came back clean. I tried opening it in Safe Mode - still no. As suggested in some websites - to get around a possible virus blocking it - to download & save the setup program under a different name & also to rename mbam.exe in the program file to a differen name. Tried this - installed but again would not open.

I did another uninstall & reboot. I then installed an older version of Malwarebytes that I had saved (v 1.50.0.0). After installation it was able to open successfully. I then went thru the update procedure & once again I could not get it to open.

It seems as if I am having a problem being able to successfully use the latest version of your program (v 1.51.1.1800 dated July 14). The previous versions work OK. I am using XP - SP3. (note: I have been using your program for about 4 years & this is the first problem I have had with it). Do you have any suggestions as to how to solve this problem? --thanks--

Hi, jrw1:

Sorry you are having trouble getting MBAM to run.

This could be due to a number of possible issues (conflict with your AV, infection, or something in your computer setup).

Excellent, self-help troubleshooting info for getting MBAM to run on an infected machine can be found here.

You might also find some helpful info in Item #5 of the FAQ here.

You mention that you are running XP SP3, 32-bit.

What brand and version of antivirus, antimalware, and firewall software do you have? (You mentioned running several AV scans -- I assume these were online scanners, and that you don't actually have 2 or more AV programs installed?).

Anyway, please take a look at the articles whose links I provided, and see if any of the tips there work.

If not, and/or it seems that your computer might be infected, then we will go from there....

In the interim, one of the MBAM experts will likely weigh in with some additional recommendations.

HTH,

daledoc1

Hi, jrw1:

This could be due to a number of possible issues (conflict with your AV, infection, or something in your computer setup).

Excellent, self-help troubleshooting info for getting MBAM to run on an infected machine can be found here.

What brand and version of antivirus, antimalware, and firewall software do you have? (You mentioned running several AV scans -- I assume these were online scanners, and that you don't actually have 2 or more AV programs installed?).

Anyway, please take a look at the articles whose links I provided, and see if any of the tips there work.

If not, and/or it seems that your computer might be infected, then we will go from there....

In the interim, one of the MBAM experts will likely weigh in with some additional recommendations.

HTH,

daledoc1

Thanks for the help. I am running Panda Cloud Antivirus with ZoneAlarm as the firewall. I use SuperAntispyware for scans only ie., not in active mode (the same way I use Malwarebytes). Both Panda & SuperAntispyware are the most current versions. TrendMicro was the only online scan that I did.

Hi, jrw1:

HTH,

daledoc1

-----------------------

"Excellent, self-help troubleshooting info for getting MBAM to run on an infected machine can be found here." :

I tried the following steps from this section - none of which worked:

•Run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Safe Mode with Networking

•Rename Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

•Use RKill to Allow Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to Run

•Use the Random Installer and Random EXE for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

•Alternate Methods of Starting Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Hi, jrw1:

Well, we'll need to wait for more expert assistance.

Sorry nothing is working for you.

I suspect the pros will need a bit more info about your system, perhaps by running either OTL or DDS.

Is there any chance you could be infected?

daledoc1

PS: Please use the zMn2t.jpg button instead of other ones when you reply here and at the other forums, so that it will be easier to read. :)

I don't think that it is infected. I haven't noticed any problems. The other antivirus programs all run and are showing everything as OK. I just downloaded & installed another AV program - Avast Antivirus. It installed & opened correctly. Did a scan with it & no problems were indicated. Would a virus block Malwarebytes only & not any other AV program? If so, then how could I be able to successfully install and open an older version of Malwarebytes? My guess is that something got corrupted when the latest version of the program was being automatically updated & installed.

Greetings jrw1 :)

Please do the following:

Create a Batch File:

• Please copy and paste the following text exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @color 48
    @echo off
    if exist "%systemdrive%\Users" dir /a:d /b "%systemdrive%\Users">"%userprofile%\desktop\User Folders.txt"
    if not exist "%systemdrive%\Users" dir /a:d /b "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings">"%userprofile%\desktop\User Folders.txt"
    "%userprofile%\desktop\User Folders.txt"
    del /f /q "%userprofile%\desktop\User Folders.txt"
    del /f /q %0

Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...

• In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file List User Folders.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.
  • Once it finishes it will open the file it created in notepad, please copy and paste the file's contents into your next reply.