Will this conflict

Hi, slizzard:

No, MBAM and MSE do not conflict.

Many members here use them both.

MSE is an ANTI-VIRUS.

MBAM is a more specialized anti-malware program designed to run alongside and complement the defenses of your anti-virus.

You should run an anti-virus (such as MSE) on your computer, as MBAM alone is not sufficient protection (as good as it is, it is not designed for complete protection).

Below are the specific steps to set the reciprocal exclusions/permissions for MSE and MBAM.

Doing so will minimize conflicts and improve performance.

HTH,

daledoc1

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Microsoft Security Essentials on 32 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials and click on Settings at the top
  2. Click on Excluded processes on the left
  3. Click on the Browse... button
  4. Click on the + next to your primary hard drive (usually C:)
  5. Click on the + next to Program Files
  6. Click on the + next to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  7. Click once on mbam.exe and click on OK
  8. Repeat steps 3-7 for the following files:
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on the Add button

[*]Click on Save at the bottom and click Continue if prompted

[*]Close Microsoft Security Essentials

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Microsoft Security Essentials on 64 bit Windows Versions:

5. Click on the + next to Program Files (x86)
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Set Exclusions for Microsoft Security Essentials in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Microsoft Security Essentials and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Set Exclusions for Microsoft Security Essentials 2.x in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Microsoft Security Client and click OK

Hi, slizzard:

I'm just a home user, not a computer expert, but I expect the other, more expert folks will agree with me that you should really have a router with a strong password these days....

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

daledoc1

PS If you haven't already done so when installing MBAM and MSE, it is advisable to temporarily pause protection in MSE when you install MBAM. After you set up the necessary permissions and exclusions for the 2 programs, as described in my earlier reply, please be sure to enable MSE protection. :)

Thanks for the reply.

Also I was just wondering how easy can someone hack my computer, if they have my IP. I see that MBAM has IP blocking. I do not use a router, I have a just a modem and the same IP each time I log in.

Thanks.

Hi.

Quite easy with all the free tools available. By keeping all software and Windows up to date and using a firewall greatly reduces the risk. Although nothing can entirely prevent this it goes a long way to try and prevent it.

Hi.

Quite easy with all the free tools available. By keeping all software and Windows up to date and using a firewall greatly reduces the risk. Although nothing can entirely prevent this it goes a long way to try and prevent it.

Would I know if I have been attacked? Also is getting a router a good option?

Would I know if I have been attacked?

On demand scanning with outstanding anti-virus applications and MBAM; most likely, but nothing is a 100% guarantee.

With the least observant inspections, probably not. e.g. Botnets.

But isn't prevention an even better solution?

Also is getting a router a good option?

If you are using broadband (not dial-up) and a modern NAT router with good firewall ability is available to you, certainly yes. IMHO it should be mandatory.

HTH :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, slizzard:

No, MBAM and MSE do not conflict.

Many members here use them both.

MSE is an ANTI-VIRUS.

MBAM is a more specialized anti-malware program designed to run alongside and complement the defenses of your anti-virus.

You should run an anti-virus (such as MSE) on your computer, as MBAM alone is not sufficient protection (as good as it is, it is not designed for complete protection).

Below are the specific steps to set the reciprocal exclusions/permissions for MSE and MBAM.

Doing so will minimize conflicts and improve performance.

HTH,

daledoc1

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Microsoft Security Essentials on 32 bit Windows Versions:

5. Click on the + next to Program Files
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Microsoft Security Essentials on 64 bit Windows Versions:

5. Click on the + next to Program Files (x86)
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Set Exclusions for Microsoft Security Essentials in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Microsoft Security Essentials and click OK

Set Exclusions for Microsoft Security Essentials 2.x in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Microsoft Security Client and click OK

Like Slizzard, I want to run AMB and MSE together. I have AMB installed, MSE won't open. The error message says MSE "is not an installed service." The help window for this error message advises uninstalling any other security software. I tried to "Set Exclusions for AMB in MSE" per your message(I'm running Win 7 64-bit) but Settings wouldn't open. Must I uninstall AMB first, then set exclusions for AMB in MSE and reinstall AMB?

Hi, sft:

Is there any chance you might be infected (popups, browser redirects, problems installing/running other programs, crashes/freezes,etc)?

If NOT, then why don't you try a clean reinstall of MBAM, taking care to pause protection in MSE and then set up the exclusions and permissions (as described in the earlier posts above),before restarting MSE.

MBAM clean reinstall instructions:

Follow these procedures as outlined below:

• Download and run this utility: mbam-clean.exe
  • It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here.
  • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent, if you are using the PRO version.
  • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
  • Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray, if you are using MBAM PRO.
  • Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. (Let us know if you need help with this.)

Please post back and let us know if this resolves your issue.

Thanks,

daledoc1

Hi, sft:

Is there any chance you might be infected (popups, browser redirects, problems installing/running other programs, crashes/freezes,etc)?

If NOT, then why don't you try a clean reinstall of MBAM, taking care to pause protection in MSE and then set up the exclusions and permissions (as described in the earlier posts above),before restarting MSE.

MBAM clean reinstall instructions:

Follow these procedures as outlined below:

• Download and run this utility: mbam-clean.exe
  • It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here.
  • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent
  • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
  • Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray.
  • Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. (Let us know if you need help with this.)

Please post back and let us know if this resolves your issue.

Thanks,

daledoc1

Thanks, daledoc1, for your quick and helpful response. It sounds like an elegant solution. Impatient to resolve the issue, though, I tried brute force:

uninstalling mbam AND]mse,

installing a new copy of mse (once mbam was gone, mse installed and ran normally)

setting mse's exclusions per the instructions above.

installing a new copy of mbam

and setting mbam's exclusions per instructions above

So far, this seems to have worked. Both mse and mbam checked for updates and ran quick scans normally. It's good to know I can come back if something goes wrong.

Thanks again,

sft

That's great.

Glad everything is working.

(I was a bit worried when you originally mentioned that neither MSE nor MBAM would run -- that's often indicative of infection.)

Please be sure to update the definitions databases of both programs and to run a Quick Scan with each, to be sure you are clean.

(Quick Scans -- and Flash Scans, if running PRO -- are all that are routinely needed with MBAM. Full scans are only needed to assist with cleaning traces of malware after infection....)

Please let us know if you need anything else!

Best regards,

daledoc1