Can no longer Update

Since 1.51.1.1800 installed on July 15, 2001, I can no longer ask it to update. I am using the free Malawarebyte program, but was able to update prior to this. Do I need to purchase the program in order to continue to update, or do I have another problem? I use Windows 7 professional, if that makes any difference. Thank you for your help.

Since 1.51.1.1800 installed on July 15, 2001, I can no longer ask it to update. I am using the free Malawarebyte program, but was able to update prior to this. Do I need to purchase the program in order to continue to update, or do I have another problem? I use Windows 7 professional, if that makes any difference. Thank you for your help.

I should add that my last update was on 7/15, database version 7143, fingerprint loaded 329474

Hello JKM:

No. You don't need to upgrade the freeware version to the PRO version just to manually update the database.

Please try a MBAM clean re-install by doing the following:

• Download and run the latest mbam-clean.exe.
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so - VERY IMPORTANT.
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here.
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license within the boxed version or were sent via email if using the PRO version.
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the PRO version. Now setup any process/folder/file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Please let us know how it goes.

HTH :)

Hello JKM:

No. You don't need to upgrade the freeware version to the PRO version just to manually update the database.

• It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so - VERY IMPORTANT.
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here.
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license within the boxed version or were sent via email if using the PRO version.
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the PRO version. Now setup any process/folder/file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

@1PW: I don't mean to meddle, and I do understand we are in debugging mode here, (I did it for years), but I see this reinstall suggested so many times, and most of the time the user has already done that, or if they do it again, it doesn't resolve the issue. Why if someone has installed the product, done a successful update, or tried to update, would they have to reinstall ?

Hello JKM:

Thanks for the speedy reply. I uploaded the free program from your website. So there is no license, right?

Hello JKM:

I am wondering if my problem is that whole "set the Protection and Registration". When I go into the Protection tab, it looks like it is wanting me to buy something. If I click on Register, it wants a Product ID and key, which I am presuming I don't get unless I purchase. But you told me I don't need to purchase. So, how do I set Protection and Registration, if I am using the free version from your website? It looks to me like I need to set something there, so that "Update" becomes available to me.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I uploaded the free program from your website. So there is no license, right?

Correct. You are not compelled to purchase the upgrade.

Hopefully you have completed the clean re-install procedure. Are you able to manually update the database now? :)

I am wondering if my problem is that whole "set the Protection and Registration". When I go into the Protection tab, it looks like it is wanting me to buy something. If I click on Register, it wants a Product ID and key, which I am presuming I don't get unless I purchase. But you told me I don't need to purchase. So, how do I set Protection and Registration, if I am using the free version from your website? It looks to me like I need to set something there, so that "Update" becomes available to me.

Hello JKM:

Though you very helpfully provided that you have the freeware version, quite frequently that information is missing. Long ago one of the Malwarebytes' staff/volunteers authored the boiler-plate text I sent you that covers both instances (freeware or PRO). Since you can't register nor set protection, you will ignore those steps. HTH :)

Hello JKM:

Though you very helpfully provided that you have the freeware version, quite frequently that information is missing. Long ago one of the Malwarebytes' staff/volunteers authored the boiler-plate text I sent you that covers both instances (freeware or PRO). Since you can't register nor set protection, you will ignore those steps. HTH :)

I had to tell you what I found out was my problem! I had created my "main" logon to be a "standard" user, instead of an administrator, so that if I were to get a virus, the damage would be minimal. I, if you haven't figured, had done this two weeks ago. Since I am not an administrator, Malawarebytes will not let me update, though it gives me no warning that I might need a password in order to perform this function. I am so glad it came to me that that might be my problem! I logged in as the administrator user and Malaywarebyte ran just the way it is supposed to - - it updated everything and then ran the scan! Now, I know I will need to switch user accounts before I run Malawarebyte from now on.

Your software is awesome, and the support is amazing. Thank you for your time.