Lan Connection Lights DELL Optiplex GX270

ksiemb

DELL Optiplex GX270 - XP/PRO SP3

Wired Ethernet Connection from Modem.

No Router

Intel® PRO 1000/ MT Network Connection.

When I plug in the ethernet cable to the PC, the light on the connection on the back of the PC shows a orangish Red.

The Activity light on the PC shows Yellow when transmitting/receiving.

I am used to seeing both lights for the connection to be green !

I even installed a spare Cnet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter and was using that at first, with no problems,

and the lights for that are green, but today decided to use the PRO 1000 connection.

I found articles saying the orange color indicated a problem, but my connection works fine.

Are those colors standard for this system, or am I flirting with a potential problem ?

Hello ksiemb:

Doesn't that LED's three colors represent your current connection's class speed? Such that green is 10Base-T, orange is 100Base-T, and yellow is 1000Base-T and all of that is dependent on the Ethernet side of your modem? I'm sorry, but I'm not intimately familiar with your NIC card.

No router? Surely you jest... :(

Hello ksiemb:

Doesn't that LED's three colors represent your current connection's class speed? Such that green is 10Base-T, orange is 100Base-T, and yellow is 1000Base-T and all of that is dependent on the Ethernet side of your modem? I'm sorry, but I'm not intimately familiar with your NIC card.

No router? Surely you jest... :(

I have no idea, that is why I asked the question ! And, why should I have a router ?

Orange is standard color for dell systems, when using Ethernet. I have/had several that did this.

Thanks. But not all Dell systems. I have a Dimension 4400 sitting right next to the Optiplex, and lights are both green.

My concern is whether or not it may be a sign of a potential problem, as I read somewhere, that is what it meant.

Thanks. But not all Dell systems. I have a Dimension 4400 sitting right next to the Optiplex, and lights are both green.

My concern is whether or not it may be a sign of a potential problem, as I read somewhere, that is what it meant.

I never said all dell systems. (but I did not clarify :blush:) What I meant to say was, as far as dell has told me, all the Dell laptop systems have orange lights when a ethernet cable is connected, and green if a wifi card (in computer, not usb, serial, etc) is installed or in use.

Note: there are several circumstances under which the green light will not display, even if wifi is installed in the system. I will not list those at this time. (It would take me all day.)

Request: Can you post a picture of what it looks like?

I never said all dell systems. (but I did not clarify :blush:) What I meant to say was, as far as dell has told me, all the Dell laptop systems have orange lights when a ethernet cable is connected, and green if a wifi card (in computer, not usb, serial, etc) is installed or in use.

Note: there are several circumstances under which the green light will not display, even if wifi is installed in the system. I will not list those at this time. (It would take me all day.)

Request: Can you post a picture of what it looks like?

Didn't mean to insinuate you said "all". Just explaining that not all have orange. These are desktop units, not laptops. Not sure what you want a picture of, but can't post one anyway as my USB cable has to be replaced. Thanks for the info, though !

Didn't mean to insinuate you said "all". Just explaining that not all have orange. These are desktop units, not laptops. Not sure what you want a picture of, but can't post one anyway as my USB cable has to be replaced. Thanks for the info, though !

ah ok.