New XP Install. MBAM won't run :(

Hello, and welcome to Malwarebytes:

Sorry you are having trouble getting MBAM to run.

Someone more expert will be able to review your OTL logs to determine if something on your system is preventing MBAM from running (it could be infection or a number of other issues, especially if you did an in-place upgrade from XP to Vista, rather than a clean install).

EDIT: Did you say that you DOWNGRADED from Vista to XP???

Until an expert arrives, excellent, self-help troubleshooting info for getting MBAM to run can be found here.

Thanks very much!

daledoc1

PS: Please use the zMn2t.jpg button instead of other ones when you reply here and at the other forums, so that it will be easier to read. :)

Hello fopetesl: :welcome:

Out of curiosity I see that MBAM is still scheduled for a "RunOnce" in the last O4 line of your pseudo HijackThis log in your first OTL.Txt file.

One of the "O4" lines should have read:

O4 - HKLM..\Run: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] E:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe (Malwarebytes Corporation)

Please reboot your computer and then run OTL again as you have above (quite helpful). The Extras file will not develop this time but please attach this second OTL.Txt file in your reply.

As wanting as Microsoft's post SP2 firewall may be in your XP Pro SP3, you should probably think about turning it on, or better yet, upgrading to a much better 3rd party firewall.

Thank you. :)

Hello fopetesl:

It appears as if MBAM did not install properly the last time.

Please do a clean re-install:

• Download and run the latest mbam-clean.exe.
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so - VERY IMPORTANT.
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here.
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license within the boxed version or were sent via email if using the PRO version.
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the PRO version. Now setup any reciprocal file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

If something seems to go wrong with this clean re-install, please start again from the beginning.

Yes - "RunOnce" is a temporary registry entry that should have been the product of a successful install. You needn't do anything - a correct install followed by a reboot should take care of this automatically.

Re: 3rd party firewalls. You have enough installed RAM. Do you recall the CPU's speed?

At some point please consider updating IE7 to IE8 and installing a good anti-virus application.

HTH :)

Please do a clean re-install:

• Download and run the latest mbam-clean.exe.
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so - VERY IMPORTANT.
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here.

I've already performed this action. To the letter. Twice. Didn't make any difference.

FYI I have installed MBAM on several friend's computers over the last couple of months without any problems. So I'm puzzled why this particular laptop should throw a wobbly.

• Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license within the boxed version or were sent via email if using the PRO version.
  • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
    Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the PRO version. Now setup any reciprocal file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

I don't (yet) have the Pro version on my computer since I will let Prevx expire before doing so. BTW Prevx is not installed on this laptop.

Re: 3rd party firewalls. You have enough installed RAM. Do you recall the CPU's speed?

At some point please consider updating IE7 to IE8 and installing a good anti-virus application.

There is 3GB RAM installed. 2.4GHz 64 bit Athlon X2. (Measured speed 1.8GHz)

Don't use IE(anything). Firefox 5 :)

Is not MBAM a good anti-virus application? :unsure:

Hello fopetesl:

I recommend mbam-clean.exe to do a detailed un-install of a failed install or a failure in a previously working MBAM installation. It was easy to see that MBAM had not finished installing from your first OTL. It was also evident from the second OTL that the reboot did not finish the MBAM install as it should. Under those circumstances using mbam-clean.exe before the next install was the best thing for your system.

All system configurations are different and Microsoft's registry hives can suffer assaults that may not be immediately apparent. I'm glad you've already installed MBAM for others. Your experience will show you when this install goes right.

I believe your computer's hardware should accommodate a standard featured personal firewall.

You should be aware that Microsoft's Windows Update (WU) use element's of Microsoft's Internet Explorer. That's one of the better reasons to update IE7 to IE8 later.

If you've done another clean re-install since post #6 above, what do you see now?

Hello fopetesl:

Questions:

Since this is a new install on the wiped E:\ partition, did you install the XP drivers (15 of them?) for an Aspire 5535 from Acer? If so, great!

You also wrote that you installed Firefox and MBAM. Did you get a chance to visit Microsoft for Windows Updates yet? Again, if so, great!

I'll try to answer your ppoints, 1PW...

Checked XP updates with Microsoft - I have the latest.

ACER don't have any drivers for XP. I spent a loong time Googling to find the correct ones since this model has various flavours of hardware. Control Panel Devices are clean and everything seems to work fine. I'm writing from that laptop.

Then I did the procedure as itemised. Clean. Reboot. Reinstall MBAM.

Result exactly the same. :(

Hello fopetesl,

Please run mbam-clean.exe another time. Restart the system.

Download the attached installer 1.51 (this is the version before the latest)[the newest version of MBAM is 1.51.1].

After installation, you need to uncheck the option: 'check for updates', otherwise you will download the latest version and will need to click cancel when it attempts to install the latest version.

Please let me know if mbam.exe runs for you properly with the slightly older version.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

mbam-setup-1.51.0.1200.zip

Well, Mainard. Yes V...1200 runs, (sse pic). I cannot use it.

First I allowed it to update itself which automagically reinstalls V...1800 and we're back to the original situation. V...1800 won't run.

Second I thought to bypass the auto update by only allowing the virus database to update.

Don't have that choice so I tried to stop the code update but it seems not possible.

Auto update over rides any manual choice(s).

So it appears that the latest code is the culprit?

post-88993-0-79627300-1311754952.jpg

Hello fopetesl:

I believe you will want to uncheck: "Notify me when a program is ready for installation." also.

If you have the Product ID and Key handy, you will also wish to register.

I hope you were able to install all the XP Pro drivers for your system's future stability.