Computer wont start

I have a Thinkpad (and was) running WindowsXP SP3 and I had problems with Google redirects, intermittent Blue screen of death and then MBAM wouldn't run and it then totally stopped booting up (even in safe mode). I asked one of my friend's friends to help out and he couldn't resolve it. I'm at the point where I decided to take things in my one hand and rely on the experts here. Right now, when I start my PC it says "NTLDR is compressed. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart." I can't boot in safemode and I don't have a WindowsXP CD (it came with the computer several years ago). What should I do now? Please help. I'm typing this from a friend's PC. Thank you!

• Staff

Hi and welcome to Malwarebytes.

You will need to use your Windows CD to access the Recovery Console. Boot from the CD and press R at the menu to access it. Once there, enter these commands as shown, one line at a time:

cd \ attrib -c c:\ntldr exit

See if Windows will load now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!