Computer shutting down

I went to the instructions on this forum titled "I'm infected, now what do I do?". I followed all the instructions up to the last step. This is the scan that randomly names itself on download. I believe it was called a rootkit scan. I started the scan and within 10 seconds the screen flashed black and I got the blue screen of death. The one that tells you Windows has recovered from something fatal.... Now the computer will not completely boot up. Help!

Hello, and Welcome to Malwarebytes

Sorry to hear your infected.... you can try and follow the steps located in THIS FAQ to see if you can remove the infection yourself, or if you prefer to have an expert help you one on one, here are the steps needed to get your computer cleaned....

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

You have 3 Options that you can choose from as listed below:

• Option 1 —— Free Expert advice in the Malware Removal Forum
  • Option 2 —— Paying customer -- Contact Support via email
  • Option 3 —— Premium, Fee-Based Support

OPTION 1

As we don't deal with malware removal in the
General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum
, you need to start a topic in the
Malware Removal forum
so a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems/infections you may have.

• Please read and follow the
    , skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a

• After posting your new post, make sure under
    options
    , you select
    Track this topic
    and choose
    Immediate Email Notification
    , so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

• One of the
    there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

• Please refrain from making any further changes to your computer such as (Install/Uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc...) unless advised by a malware removal helper. Doing so can result in system changes which may hinder the attempts by a helper to clean your machine.

NOTE:
Please DO NOT post back to (bump) your topic within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count and helpers are looking for topics with zero replies. If you reply to your own post helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus overlook your post.
    • If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.

Or

• You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

OPTION 2

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at
or

OPTION 3

If you would like to use our Malwarebytes Premium Services, Comprehensive solutions to all your computer support needs—from installation and set-up to troubleshooting and tune-ups go to our
support site.

Please be patient, someone will assist you as soon as it is possible.

PS: Please use the "ADDREPLY" Add-Reply.png button instead of other ones when you start replying. :)

Thank you both for your responses! With the help of the geek squad I have pinpointed the problem as a hardware issue and my machine is not infected at all. Thanks again for not only your prompt responses, but also for being here and using your time to help others. You all rock!

Thanks for the tip rgabbard! I appreciate your kindness. I can't afford the geek squad anyway LOL. I think the mother board is on its way out. The machine will boot up but as soon as I attempt to open a browser it shuts down. Researching mother boards for my machine on eBay.

You should be able to find thermal paste at a nearby computer store, otherwise you can buy it online. Thermal paste is a compound that is used to create better contact between your cpu/processor and your heat sink. This allows for better heat transference which will keep your processor cooler. Typical recommendation is to reapply every 2-3 years. If you decide to try this, be very careful when removing the heat sink as it may be "stuck" to the processor. Some other things to check before you start would be fans. Make sure all the fans in the computer case are working properly and aren't dusty. It's a good idea to dust out your computer every 3-4 months to keep it running cool.

And assuming this is a desktop, you will need to take the heat sink off the processor and clean it and the processor off with some rubbing alcohol. Once it's cleaned off you can apply the new thermal paste.

Arctic Silver is a good brand for thermal paste. They have instructions on how to apply on their web site. http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm