Can't run full scan, get BSOD.

I am using Malwarebytes Anti Malware and Norton 360 V5.0. I believe there are no issues

between the two, at least I haven't encountered any yet. Well, at some point towards the

end of the full scan I get the dreaded BSOD. No error messages other than stop 0x00000f4.

This has also happened with Norton. Quick scan is OK in Both. I have used the free

Kaspersky virus remover and it found one issue. I have run Norton Eraser with no issues

found. Have tried to run Dr.Web CureIt but it too farts out (won't complete just goes dead,

lockup). Using an HP NC6230 with Win XP Pro SP3, 1.73 Centrino Pentium, 2GB mem.

I ran HiJackThis and didn't see any prob's there. I am not a pro (obviously, but no newbie

either) and this has me stumped. The BSOD during full scan is the ONLY thing that seems

to be wrong with my computer. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I would feel more

comfortable if I could run Full Scans again. Oh yah, Mbam Updates with no problem and

Norton is working allright other than this because sometimes online I get web site and down

load advisories. I'm attaching the HiJackThis.txt Log. Thanx.

hijackthis.log

Hello and :welcome:

I think this is rather a problem with the file system than malware, so lets check for that first.

Click Start > Run, type cmd and press enter.

Type chkdsk /r and press enter. When asked to schedule the scan for next reboot, please confirm.

Restart your computer and let the disk check run unhindered.

When done, try to rerun MBAM and see if the problem persists.

Elise, thanx's for the suggestion. I tried it, didn't work. Previously someone had told me to run chkdsk with the /f variable which didn't work either. However, when I ran Mbam it got to about 250,000 files I have around 1,650,000 files on computer) and dumped giving the BSOD, same error "stop 0x000000f4". I did notice it had found one problem marked in bold red type but I don't know what it found. It could have been a file I need to add for a program to work (I'm told that some AV's flag these as bad but really aren't). Like I said I too believe it's something with the system. I've scoured the net and found others with the same problem and have tried some of those fixes but none seem to work for this situation. Like I said all else is good just can't run full scans (neither Mbam or Norton). Oh yah, when I full scan in safe mode same results with both. Anyone experience anything similar or have a resolution? ALL suggestions wilol be appreciated and checked out.

This problem is typically caused by file system problems, which is why I suggested checkdisk. The /r switch does a bit more than the /f switch.

Can you please describe to me why checkdisk did not work? What error did you get?

Hi again, lets see what else might be causing this.

COMBOFIX

---------------

Please download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Bleepingcomputer
ForoSpyware

• Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. (Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive.)
  • Double click on Combofix.exe and follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, or if you are running Vista, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Query_RC.gif

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

RC_successful.gif

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\Combofix.txt in your next reply.

Elize, I am preparing to do what you have suggested, BUT, I ALWAYS research all advice and moves I do first. SO, you forgot to mention that ComboFix will DELETE ALL Files in my Temp folder. Well I can't speak for any one else but my temp folder on my C: drive is used by me as my catch all basin for in transit folders, testing of programs and quite a variety of things I do with my computer!!! So shame on you for NOT Warning me. By the way did I tell you I CATYCH ON FAST?

So shame on you for NOT Warning me.
Shame on you for saving important stuff in the Temp folder. The name says it all temporary files. :rolleyes:

We can either go to the bottom of this and see if we can find the cause in this topic, or you can do it on your own; either way is okay with me, but don't blame me for files being deleted if you choose to save them in a location that is supposed to be temporary anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!