Need help - MBAM won't run

Have the same problem as others here - MBAM-Setup won't execute. Actually it does - I can see it in Task Manager, but it never brings up anything - I get the windows hourglass and then it goes away.

The virus I have I think is pretty nasty. Actually have a couple - I think. One is:

Backdoor:W32/TDSS

The other is some kind of DNS Changer - most searches/clicks in either Explorer or Firefox get redirected to one of several sites - one is a yellowpages.com search site. Also, access is blocked to kaspersky, Malwarebytes, Norton, and many other anti-virus sites. I was able to get Kaspersky installed by downloading to a laptop and moving via a thumb drive, but it still won't activate (I assume because of blocking access to specific web sites - it came up with something like 127.0.0.0 once instead of the anti-virus sites.) I've tried MBAM on the laptop and it runs fine. The computer in question (desktop) is running XP SP3 and is hooked to the 'net via a DSL modem/router/wireless access point. It's the same way the laptop connects, and I don't see any obvious DNS switching on the router itself, or on the desktop.

I'm beating myself up on this one. Any help is much appreciated. I was up to 3:30 this morning trying everything I could think of. I have read the previous instructions for the HiJack this stuff, but didn't know how much that would help anyone if MBam wouldn't even install.

Thanks for any and all help...

Scott

Gilman, IA

Update - downloaded spybot S&D onto the thumb drive from the laptop. Also got the updated definitions and HiJack This. Spybot installed, but won't run (same as MBam - get the hourglass for a few seconds, and then it goes away.) It's visible in the Task Manager, (as a process only, not as a application). Just tried HiJack this install too (same way - from laptop to thumb drive to desktop) and it does the same thing - hourglass for a few seconds, and then nothing. Visible in the Task Manager as a process not using clock cycles.

Greetings and welcome. Please follow AdvancedSetup's instuctions here to see if it helps: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...amp;#entry35969

If it does, then please follow the instructions here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2936

and post your logs in a new topic here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Please be sure not to install any software or use any removal/scanning tools exept those that you are

instructed to by the expert who will be assisting you as doing so can make their job much more difficult.

I hope I was helpful. Good luck and safe surfing.