Help on choice of Security program to go with Malwarebytes

@engxladso

You said

I would like to ask if you continue to recommend Avira over AVG in May 2010.

I say, yes, in a heartbeat. AVG has not help up well the past few years, in my observations.

As exile360 & marktreg have noted, MS' MSE is also recommended.

Just make sure that if your clients are using the Pro version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware with MSE, that the following files and locations are excluded in the Excluded files & locations section as well as the Excluded processes section in MSE:

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

A good guide on doing so can be found here.

Hi. The guide you mention doesn't cover the .dll or .ref files. I'm not sure where to put them. Under "Excluded files and locations"? "Excluded file types"? "Excluded processes"? I assume it would be the first (files and locations), but I thought I'd ask just to be sure.

Many thanks.

Just purchased the PRO version of Malwarebytes. Had an infection on my computer that only Malwarebytes found and fixed and this after having McAffee on my system and then removing that and running Bitdefender. Nothing worked except Mawarebytes and I was sold. Now, I need help on choosing an antivirus or other security program that can run with Malwarebytes (I have enabled the real-time protection). What security suite is best? Spent a long time on reviews on very confusing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I FEEL OFFENDED! BIt defender is a good anti-virus! I'm using bit defender and malwarebytes and i have noo problems! Infact, go on the site and it says bit-defender was rated the best anti-virus!

I FEEL OFFENDED! BIt defender is a good anti-virus! I'm using bit defender and malwarebytes and i have noo problems! Infact, go on the site and it says bit-defender was rated the best anti-virus!

With respect and curiosity, why would you dig up an 18 month old thread and make a statement like this? Things change and everything one reads on the web needs to be balanced by more than just one company's opinion before it is accepted by the general community of malware and virus fighters.

There is also a large difference in the performance of anti virus/malware software on different or older/newer operating systems and user abilities.

If you are still offended i will volunteer to wear sackcloth and put ashes on my head for a while, would that help?

Now now, no need to get all riled up. Different people have different preferences for products (both for computer software and not)... if you prefer BitDefender, that's great! Not everyone does, but no need for anyone to get all worked up over it.

Hi. The guide you mention doesn't cover the .dll or .ref files. I'm not sure where to put them. Under "Excluded files and locations"? "Excluded file types"? "Excluded processes"? I assume it would be the first (files and locations), but I thought I'd ask just to be sure.

Many thanks.

Those would go in the Excluded files and locations section. They may not even be necessary, but I always exclude them anyway just to be sure.