What is the best programming language for a game?

Bobc11

ANS COBOL 1968... :lol:

Then a person, proven to write or modify a COBOL program, would be guilty of a Class C felony...

Assembler, in highly experienced hands, could give you the tightest possible code IMHO.

That's very difficult to answer. How comfortable would you be learning most/all of the machine language instructions for today's CPUs to begin with?

After that, it gets "interesting"... YMMV

I think Steve Gibson (grc.com) does most of his programming in assembler. I think his SpinRite6 works from a bootable floppy diskette and somebody else wrote the OS.

That's very difficult to answer. How comfortable would you be learning most/all of the machine language instructions for today's CPUs to begin with?

After that, it gets "interesting"... YMMV

I think Steve Gibson (grc.com) does most of his programming in assembler. I think his SpinRite6 works from a bootable floppy diskette and somebody else wrote the OS.

I am getting confused... you can write an OS using assembler?

Learn C++ then move onto C# (similar but different syntax). Then move onto learning Java.

After you have a foundation in C++ learning other programming languages is a bit easier.

What I am getting from this is that I should use c++. I do want to write and publish a game, so is that the right programming language? Can I use C++ Express edition?

If you don't know what's a good language to write a game in, then you shouldn't be thinking about writing a game any time soon.

But since you asked, I am obliged to answer. Definitely C or C++. Assembly is excellent if you want blazing fast execution, but a huge drawback is that it's completely non-portable and the code requires great skill to maintain. In other words, it's good for writing platform-dependent libraries.

If you want to learn to program, don't start with an actual language. Start with programming paradigms and concepts. Then pick a strong language such as C. You don't want to be using any of that VB crap or anything alike. It's only good for the fiddly-diddly draggy 'n droppy crap.

If you don't know what's a good language to write a game in, then you shouldn't be thinking about writing a game any time soon.

Thank you for your encouraging opening sentence. :P Anyway, I am going to start with C++ and see what happens from there. If anyone else has anything else add, just well, say it.

Thank you for your encouraging opening sentence. :P Anyway, I am going to start with C++ and see what happens from there. If anyone else has anything else add, just well, say it.

Sorry, I didn't mean that personally, and I don't want to destroy your motivation, I'm just saying how difficult it is to develop a game. Coding it is just a part of the overall work. You need to test everything thoroughly, maintain and update the code often enough, and the most important part: reach an audience. Know what they say, coding is only one half of the job. The other one is deployment.

Again, I don't want to demoralize you. Nay, quite the contrary, if you require any assistance with the development, I would be glad to help.

Sorry, I didn't mean that personally, and I don't want to destroy your motivation, I'm just saying how difficult it is to develop a game. Coding it is just a part of the overall work. You need to test everything thoroughly, maintain and update the code often enough, and the most important part: reach an audience. Know what they say, coding is only one half of the job. The other one is deployment.

Again, I don't want to demoralize you. Nay, quite the contrary, if you require any assistance with the development, I would be glad to help.

Oh... Thanks! I actually may need some help, so I may take you up on that.

But since you asked, I am obliged to answer. Definitely C or C++. Assembly is excellent if you want blazing fast execution, but a huge drawback is that it's completely non-portable and the code requires great skill to maintain. In other words, it's good for writing platform-dependent libraries.

If you want to learn to program, don't start with an actual language. Start with programming paradigms and concepts. Then pick a strong language such as C. You don't want to be using any of that VB crap or anything alike. It's only good for the fiddly-diddly draggy 'n droppy crap.

There's a lot of really good programmers out there that ask that same question when the first start. It's good to have a goal, I know making a game was one of my very first goals. Then I changed and decided to just start with the basics and learn from there.

There's a lot of really good programmers out there that ask that same question when the first start. It's good to have a goal, I know making a game was one of my very first goals. Then I changed and decided to just start with the basics and learn from there.

I think that is what I may do... but I am still going to *attempt* to write a game... of course, after I learn C++.

It's more than a good idea. I don't think anyone wants to be confined to a single platform, especially the one that's a PITA to develop for.

Ok! Being a inexperienced as I am... Do I need to change compilers?