Compatibility with Oracle VM VirtualBox - PRO version

Has anyone has compatibility problems running Malwarebytes PRO under Windows XP PRO (SP3) when you have Oracle VM VirtualBox running tasks on the system? I just installed it yesterday and almost immediately had problems with mouse/keyboard response and rebooting the system. It takes for ever.

When I reviewed the PRO version it appeared that it could be run at the same time as AntiSpyware Pro. Is there a compatibility issue here?

I have removed both from my system (using Windows Safe Mode) and things now look okay.

The reason I want to run both Malwarebytes and AntiSpyware Pro is because there appears to be some malware that is missed by them and you really need both to be sure things are clean.

Thanks.

Has anyone has compatibility problems running Malwarebytes PRO under Windows XP PRO (SP3) when you have Oracle VM VirtualBox running tasks on the system? I just installed it yesterday and almost immediately had problems with mouse/keyboard response and rebooting the system. It takes for ever.

When I reviewed the PRO version it appeared that it could be run at the same time as AntiSpyware Pro. Is there a compatibility issue here?

I have removed both from my system (using Windows Safe Mode) and things now look okay.

The reason I want to run both Malwarebytes and AntiSpyware Pro is because there appears to be some malware that is missed by them and you really need both to be sure things are clean.

I am running McAfee Total Protection as my Anti-Virus package.

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to MBAM, TominSanJose:

[[EDIT -- Thanks for the info that your AV is McAfee.]]

Sorry you are having performance issues.

Can't speak to the Oracle VM issue, but are you referring to SuperAntispyware Pro (aka SAS Pro)?

If so, then there ought not to be any conflict between SAS Pro and MBAM Pro -- many folks here use both, even if it's a bit of overkill.

The slowdown is more likely the result of subtle conflicts between MBAM (or SAS) and your Anti-Virus (AV).

Did you set up the necessary reciprocal exclusions for your AV and MBAM?

daledoc1

I use VirtualBox all the time for testing and I always have the PRO version of MBAM installed and running and I've never had any issues with them.

You also need to install an antivirus, neither SUPERAntiSpyware nor Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware are designed to catch all threats, in particular, infections that most antivirus software are good at catching. The following are my personal recommendations for antivirus protection along with links to downloads for them (free trials for those that require a purchase so you can try them before deciding):

Note: If you decide to use one of the trial versions of one of the paid antiviruses then you will either need to purchase it or uninstall it completely and install a replacement antivirus before the trial expires so that your PC is not left unprotected.

Also note that if using the paid version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware with your antivirus in realtime that it is generally a good idea to exclude Malwarebytes' files from your antivirus to avoid conflicts. The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products.

You should also exclude the program folder for SUPERAntiSpyware and your antivirus from Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using the Add button on the Ignore List tab as that will help to avoid any potential conflicts and performance issues, something you can do in Safe Mode if need be if the system is already having performance problems when our protection module is running since it does not run in Safe Mode.

Hi and welcome to MBAM, TominSanJose:

[[EDIT -- Thanks for the info that your AV is McAfee.]]

Sorry you are having performance issues.

Can't speak to the Oracle VM issue, but are you referring to SuperAntispyware Pro (aka SAS Pro)?

If so, then there ought not to be any conflict between SAS Pro and MBAM Pro -- many folks here use both, even if it's a bit of overkill.

The slowdown is more likely the result of subtle conflicts between MBAM (or SAS) and your Anti-Virus (AV).

Did you set up the necessary reciprocal exclusions for your AV and MBAM?

daledoc1

Yes, I did. It seems to be it has something to do with the Oracle VM. I'll keep looking.

Thanks.

Tom