Excessive Hardware Interrupts

ksiemb

Dell Optiplex GSX270 1gb RAM, 2.4gHz Processor, XP/PRO

Original Problem:

I just installed a Maxtor 6L04032 40 GB secondary IDE Hard Drive to use for backup.

Formatted it to NTFS.

The backup Software (Acronis) estimated 1 hour 30 min or so to backup 14 Gig. This is way too long, and should only take 15 minutes, or less. (15 minutes on my other Dell 1.7 gHz machine. (Dell Dimension 4400)

When I looked at process explorer, the following resource was using 85 to 95% CPU.

Interrupts Hardware Interrupts & DPC - Showing 0k private and 0k working set.

Tried to update driver, but said I had the most recent one.

Any help is much appreciated.

Update: Backed up files on DELL Dimension 4400 XP Home - No excessive Interrupts.

Moved the backup disk to omniplex - Ran backup and Get High Interrupt %.

Did this with 2 different drive, same results.

Edited by ksiemb

No, because the secondary drives are not DELL.... Maxtor & WD. The drivers are updated, at least that is what Windows says.

And they work fine in XP Home on another Dell machine

Besides DELL is so screwed up, I have been there before, with no solutions to problems, ergo the other forum posts.

I put the Service Tag number in, & they show me a Slim Line ! So much for DELL !

No, because the secondary drives are not DELL.... Maxtor & WD. The drivers are updated, at least that is what Windows says.

And they work fine in XP Home on another Dell machine

Besides DELL is so screwed up, I have been there before, with no solutions to problems, ergo the other forum posts.

I put the Service Tag number in, & they show me a Slim Line ! So much for DELL !

Windows wouldn't be able to tell if you installed a null driver...

About the drivers, I meant all drivers, not just the HDD ones. I never had a problem with Dell, I don't know why so many people hate it so much.

Anyways, about the high hardware interrupt CPU usage, did you check other hardware? Try temporarily disabling your network card or something else and see if that narrows the issue to a certain component. Bear in mind that it might also be caused by buggy software. Do you have any CD/DVD emulators or anything else that changes the way Windows detects your hardware?

Windows wouldn't be able to tell if you installed a null driver...

About the drivers, I meant all drivers, not just the HDD ones. I never had a problem with Dell, I don't know why so many people hate it so much.

Anyways, about the high hardware interrupt CPU usage, did you check other hardware? Try temporarily disabling your network card or something else and see if that narrows the issue to a certain component. Bear in mind that it might also be caused by buggy software. Do you have any CD/DVD emulators or anything else that changes the way Windows detects your hardware?

Thank you for responding ! I have no emulators installed at all. To be sure, the only hardware is the KB, mouse, Monitor, Network Card, The backup software (Acronis) I have used for the past 5 years, on XP Home Edition with no problems whatsoever. So, Windows sucks with respect to Driver updates ? I can believe that, as I always see "Microsoft 2001" when I look in device manager ! Someone else asked about jumper settings; they are set to cable select on the drive in question. I will check the device model number on WEB for possible driver updates, and now that I have a large backup file on the drive, going to try copying it, renaming it etc to see what happens. Can you recommend a driver update program for checking all drivers, which is not one of those I always find that give you false positives, to get you to buy their product ?

Your input is very much appreciated. Thanks, again....Ken

PROBLEM SOLVED !

Not sure which of the following cured the Problem, but under the IDE\Atap\Atapi Controller there were duplicate entries for Primary,

plus Secondary IDE channels, and Standard Dual channel PCI IDE Controller.

Someone suggested that wasn't correct, and to delete & reboot and new drivers would be installed.

I opted to only uninstall the duplicate entries for each.

At the IDE/Atap/Atapi controller level, I did a scan for hardware changes which added ATA Storage Controller.

After reboot the dupe primary & scdy were regenerated (I assume for the CD/RW device).

The duplicate Standard Dual channel PCI IDE Controller disappeared.

A new Ultra ATA Storage controller was added.

Drives are functioning ok now. Thanks for your responses