Google Redirect - Malware.Trace

Hi Elise,

First up before we forget.... I don't know how to remove the file containing malware that was included in a post a couple back. You were concerned that others might inadvertantly download it.

Now :lol::P:lol::P:lol::):)

Everything looks good this morning.

Full runs of defrag, mbam,SAS,F-prot, no bad site access detects, no google hijack attempts.

I will check back later for your instruction on that file removal, & suggest that I report back after 12 - 24 hours

regards Greg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, I asked an Administrator to remove the file for you. :)

ALL CLEAN

--------------

Your machine appears to be clean, please take the time to read below on how to secure the machine and take the necessary steps to keep it clean :)

Please do the following to remove the remaining programs from your PC:

• Delete the tools used during the disinfection:
    • Click start > run and type combofix /uninstall, press enter. This will remove Combofix from your computer.

Please read these advices, in order to prevent reinfecting your PC:

1. Install and update the following programs regularly:
    • an outbound firewall. If you are connected to the internet through a router, you are already behind a hardware firewall and as such you do not need an extra software firewall.
      A comprehensive tutorial and a list of possible firewalls can be found here.
    • an AntiVirus Software
      It is imperative that you update your AntiVirus Software on regular basis.If you do not update your AntiVirus Software then it will not be able to catch the latest threats.
    • an Anti-Spyware program
      Malware Byte's Anti Malware is an excellent Anti-Spyware scanner. It's scan times are usually under ten minutes, and has excellent detection and removal rates.
      SUPERAntiSpyware is another good scanner with high detection and removal rates.
      Both programs are free for non commercial home use but provide a resident and do not nag if you purchase the paid versions.
    • Spyware Blaster
      A tutorial for Spywareblaster can be found here. If you wish, the commercial version provides automatic updating.

[*]Keep Windows (and your other Microsoft software) up to date!

I cannot stress how important this is enough. Often holes are found in Internet Explorer or Windows itself that require patching. Sometimes these holes will allow an attacker unrestricted access to your computer.

Therefore, please, visit the Microsoft Update Website and follow the on screen instructions to setup Microsoft Update. Also follow the instructions to update your system. Please REBOOT and repeat this process until there are no more updates to install!!

[*]Keep your other software up to date as well

Software does not need to be made by Microsoft to be insecure. You can use the Secunia Online Software occasionally to help you check for out of date software on yourmachine.

[*]Stay up to date!

The MOST IMPORTANT part of any security setup is keeping the software up to date. Malware writers release new variants every single day. If your software updates don't keep up, then the malware will always be one step ahead. Not a good thing.

Some more links you might find of interest:

Please reply to this topic if you have read the above information. If your computer is working fine, this topic will be closed afterwards.

:D:D:D

Elise,

All seems great, so that is a great birthday present for me tomorrow (in about 1 hour).

May be I can get some more sleep now in the next few nights.

I will drink in your suggestions and certainly won't be keeping too much of importance in my temporary folders.

I'm really, really appreciative of all your efforts, your skills,your patience, your clear & precise instructions and your devotion to helping others.

regards Greg