Website reputation reccomendation

Hey, i have WOT at the moment, but since its community based it can be really biased sometimes, so i would like to have another reputation type thing along side WOT. So theres like norton, mcaffee but i really dont knwo which one i should use.

So any good things for firefox or chrome (mainly firefox though) addons with this stuff? which should i use?

@OP: Norton and McAfee are both crap. Especially McAfee. They mark known crapware products as good and many malicious websites are not even rated. WOT is much better than either of those. It can be biased in theory, but that rarely happens.

@gerardwil: I used OpenDNS for some time in the past but it pissed me off too much. It replaced DNS errors with its own search page. It was extremely annoying so I removed it.

@OP: Norton and McAfee are both crap. Especially McAfee. They mark known crapware products as good and many malicious websites are not even rated. WOT is much better than either of those. It can be biased in theory, but that rarely happens.

@gerardwil: I used OpenDNS for some time in the past but it pissed me off too much. It replaced DNS errors with its own search page. It was extremely annoying so I removed it.

@Darksider: Got any opinions About Avast 6.0 WEBREP ? - I didn't know Mcafee Site Advisor was crap, and have used it for quite awhile now, thought it has done a good job. They are both in my browser; Suggest removing them and install WOT ?

I didn't know Mcafee Site Advisor was crap, and have used it for quite awhile now, thought it has done a good job.

They have a history of being bribed or otherwise convinced to mark unsafe sites as safe.

E.g.

Once in the past:

fIeWD.png

Today:

RB8mE.png

(I clicked on the first image on Google and got the second one.)

And there are more sites like AdwareAlert, Uniblue, etc. Hell, they still have StopZilla as green.

oZI2f.png

We tested this site and didn't find any significant problems.

Seems like your users did, McAfee. Good job.

About the Avast question, I don't know, sorry. I never used their WebRep. Avast is a good antivirus though, so I doubt the ratings can be bad.

As for WOT, it's definitely better than McAfee. Saying that "WOT can be biased" is like saying Wikipedia can be biased. Yes, it can, in theory, but it rarely actually is. WOT is used by everyone from the average user to malware experts, and that's exactly the good thing about it: rogue authors are not going to bribe the users to spread good lies about them. They're going to bribe McAfee, and by that, I mean companies in general.

the word "bribe" is rather harsh and would need proof of validity on a personal level .

this is something for the big dogs to sort out .

to the end user the reasons behind the discrepancies does not matter .

what is important is the results in front of them .

the word "bribe" is rather harsh and would need proof of validity on a personal level .

this is something for the big dogs to sort out .

to the end user the reasons behind the discrepancies does not matter .

what is important is the results in front of them .

Yes, what's important are the results, and McAfee certainly doesn't provide satisfactory ones. From the perspective of righteousness, I could argue wildly about the reasons. But from the perspective of an end user, I don't care about the reasons either.

Hello everyone,

I am new, but now with the new version kaspersky also has rating system. I don't if it has enough database, as many sites are still grey or unknown but it's definitely better than McAfee........

Any comments on kaspersky rating system?

Anybody using it?

Regards.

Hey, i have WOT at the moment, but since its community based it can be really biased sometimes, so i would like to have another reputation type thing along side WOT. So theres like norton, mcaffee but i really dont knwo which one i should use.

So any good things for firefox or chrome (mainly firefox though) addons with this stuff? which should i use?

Try Webutation.