What Is Your Opinion Of This Desktop Tower?

Drum

Hi. To paraphrase Mark Twain: "Reports of my tediousness are totally unexaggerated". But anyway, could people with Technical Knowhow about computers please give their assessment of the following Desktop PC Tower? How would you rate it if the potential buyer only needed a decent low-end PC that could speedily handle a good suite of programs? It would only be used with a Dial-Up connection also. Would very much like to see your comments. Thank you.

Hewlett-Packard DX2355

PROCESSOR TYPE: AMD ATHLON DUAL CORE 5200B 2.7GHZ (X2)

RAM: 1024MB DDR2 ADD $50 FOR ADDITIONAL 1024MB

HD SIZE: 160 GB

OPTICAL DRIVE: DVDRW

USB PORTS: 4

LOADED WITH WINDOWS VISTA BUSINESS WITH COA AND LIBRE OFFICE , NERO, VLC MEDIA PLAYER

MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS AND MORE !!

6 MONTHS RETURN TO BASE WARRANTY

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144209

1 gig of ddr2 starts at 15$ so 50$ is just crazy.

HD SIZE: 160 GB <- this is ancient and likely very very slow.

LOADED WITH WINDOWS VISTA BUSINESS <- loaded down with vista.

What is your price range?

Do you need just a tower or the full package or somewhere in between?

For the sake of stability and manufacturer support I would not go with vista or XP at this point.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108456

This is the best I could do on newegg as far as low $ without it being low quality and performance.

Don't worry about software either, the one good things about windows is the amazing freeware. From photo editing to office software to security to media players there are loads of great free applications.

Am knocked-out (appreciatively) from the replies of you guys, and thank you very much indeed for your Posts: have to say first of all say to Forum Deity that I live in a country where there is no such thing as "cheap" digital gear - on the local "EBay" type website there are heaps of desperado's (or else Ratbags) trying to sell ancient six-year-old Towers like the one that is being used to write this for not only money, but on many occasions brain-boggling amounts of it. Am not in USA or Europe - am in Southern Hemisphere. Thank you Buttons for your verdict; Am not a Geek but have learnt from your Posts on this incredibly magnificent Website that you are, and so what you say, Buttons, is "Taken Onboard" big time: the PC I have got has not got anywhere near enough power to handle XP3 and only a few extra programs (although as the long-suffering MBAM Tech Samuel points out, these modern programs such as MBAM Free, Ad-Aware, Avira, and Comodo Firewall, are so incredibly sophisticated that they need massive grunt to "power" them, and a six year old Tower is not up to being able to handle them). Nosirrah, where this is being written from is Uber Ripoff Land!!!

Hey nosirrah, tried to copy and paste he URL you included in your Post but my Browser (Firefox #4) cannot connect to the website that the URL refers to. You obviously think, nosirrah, that the described PC is very old, but where I live old computer gear is in no way cheap and anything that is a couple of years old or "younger" is eye-poppingly expensive.

Hey nosirrah, tried to copy and paste he URL you included in your Post but my Browser (Firefox #4) cannot connect to the website that the URL refers to. You obviously think, nosirrah, that the described PC is very old, but where I live old computer gear is in no way cheap and anything that is a couple of years old or "younger" is eye-poppingly expensive.

The link is shortened, this is the full link if you don't want to click the one I posted.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108456

Also nosirrah you talked about $15.00 RAM. Where I live that statement would make people with computers fall over the place on their asses with laughter!!! The Geeks here never buy anything I.T. in this country, and instead through a nationwide "Grapevine" that they have got, they get a Geek who is going overseas to buy new digital gear for them: believe it or not, they can buy and import it for less than half the price that you pay (here) in the shops for exactly the same gear!!!