Google Redirect & potentially other issues.

We need to get rid of this one:

uInternet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:49333

Launch Notepad (Start>All Programs>Accessories), and copy/paste all the Quoted REGEDIT below to it. Don't forget to include REGEDIT4.

Save in: Desktop

File Name: fixme.reg

Save as Type: All files

Click: Save

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"ProxyServer"=-

Save this as fixme.reg Choose to save as *all files and place it on your desktop.

It should look like this: reg.gif

Doubleclick on it and when it asks you if you want to merge the contents to the registry, click yes/ok.

Reboot and describe how your computer behaves at the moment.

Okay, ran that and fixed the registry entry... I don't seem to be experiencing redirects (URL and Search bar don't redirect any more, searches for things like "anti malware" and "anti virus" don't redirect as I tried Symantec and AVG links and they loaded normally, the Malwarebytes link loaded normally.) and everything appears to be running fine. (: I'm sure there are more steps before I can get an all clear post though, anything else we need to go through?

Good job thumbup.gif

The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

For XP:

• Click START run
  • Now type ComboFix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the /, it needs to be there.

For Vista / Windows 7

• Click START Search
  • Now type ComboFix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the /, it needs to be there.

If you used DeFogger

To re-enable your Emulation drivers, double click DeFogger to run the tool.

• The application window will appear
  • Click the Re-enable button to re-enable your CD Emulation drivers
  • Click Yes to continue
  • A 'Finished!' message will appear
  • Click OK
  • DeFogger will now ask to reboot the machine - click OK

IMPORTANT! If you receive an error message while running DeFogger, please post the log defogger_enable which will appear on your desktop.

Your Emulation drivers are now re-enabled.

Here's my usual all clean post

To be on the safe side, I would also change all my passwords.

This infection appears to have been cleaned, but as the malware could be configured to run any program a remote attacker requires, it's impossible to be 100% sure that any machine is clean.

Log looks good :D

• Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    1. From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    2. Click once on the Security tab
    3. Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    4. Click once on the Custom Level button.
    5. Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
    6. Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
    7. Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
    8. Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
    9. Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
    10. Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
    11. When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
    12. If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    13. Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

[*]Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperative that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week

(Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

[*]Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer.

Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over.

I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients.

Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

[*]Using a secure browser plugin M86 SecureBrowsing makes it safe to search, surf and socialize online. This free browser plug-in displays security icons next to links on search engines and social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, so you'll know which pages are safe and which ones to avoid.

•Free browser plug-in for Internet Explorer and Firefox

•Real-time safety ratings

•Ideal for Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn

[*] JAVA Click this link and click on the Free JAVA Download

[*]Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly.

This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer.

If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site

until there are no more critical updates.

Only run one Anti-Virus and Firewall program.

I would suggest you read:

PC Safety and Security--What Do I Need?.

How to Prevent Malware:

The full version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware could have helped protect your computer against this threat.

We use different ways of protecting your computer(s):

• Dynamically Blocks Malware Sites & Servers
  • Malware Execution Prevention

Save yourself the hassle and get protected.

Alright, thanks for all your help! (: I have a few more questions, just to finish up. :P Are there any special ways to delete TDSSKiller, GooredFix, or the fixme.reg file? Do you have any free firewall/anti-virus recommendations? And can you specify/tell me the name of what kind of infection(s) I had on my computer, if possible? I like to know what exactly I had on my system before walking away- and it didn't appear what happened here was any specific virus. I was HIGHLY suspicious of a trojan, seeing as I had proxies enabled without me knowing, and another user account on my computer had been accessed (overnight, after a reboot) without me knowing! I don't think it was a trojan with keylogging capabilities, because if it was, I'm sure they would have logged the password to my Admin account rather than going onto a user account that did not have a password enabled. However, I've read the Google redirect problems were related to a rootkit, which TDSSKiller clearly did not find on my system.

Again, thanks for everything. (:

1. You can just delete them by Right Clicking on them and select delete.

2. Only run one Anti-Virus at a time.

Use an AntiVirus Software - Choose only one - More than one will conflict. It is very important that your computer has anti-virus software running to protect against viruses. Update Antivirus prior to manual scans as necessary or as used. Please only choose one, having more than one can cause problems, such as crashes and your computer to slow down.

Below is a list of some free firewalls (in no order of preference).

It is important to note that you should only have one firewall installed at a time, but you can download to your Desktop and install each in turn to see which one you prefer.

3. My best guess was a Fake Anti-Virus / Malware program which creates a proxy server.

If you used DeFogger

To re-enable your Emulation drivers, double click DeFogger to run the tool.

• The application window will appear
  • Click the Re-enable button to re-enable your CD Emulation drivers
  • Click Yes to continue
  • A 'Finished!' message will appear
  • Click OK
  • DeFogger will now ask to reboot the machine - click OK

IMPORTANT! If you receive an error message while running DeFogger, please post the log defogger_enable which will appear on your desktop.

Your Emulation drivers are now re-enabled.

Here's my usual all clean post

To be on the safe side, I would also change all my passwords.

This infection appears to have been cleaned, but as the malware could be configured to run any program a remote attacker requires, it's impossible to be 100% sure that any machine is clean.

Log looks good :D

• Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    1. From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    2. Click once on the Security tab
    3. Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    4. Click once on the Custom Level button.
    5. Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
    6. Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
    7. Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
    8. Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
    9. Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
    10. Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
    11. When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
    12. If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    13. Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

[*]Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperative that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week

(Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

[*]Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer.

Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over.

I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients.

Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

[*]Using a secure browser plugin M86 SecureBrowsing makes it safe to search, surf and socialize online. This free browser plug-in displays security icons next to links on search engines and social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, so you'll know which pages are safe and which ones to avoid.

•Free browser plug-in for Internet Explorer and Firefox

•Real-time safety ratings

•Ideal for Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn

[*] JAVA Click this link and click on the Free JAVA Download

[*]Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly.

This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer.

If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site

until there are no more critical updates.

Only run one Anti-Virus and Firewall program.

I would suggest you read:

PC Safety and Security--What Do I Need?.

How to Prevent Malware:

The full version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware could have helped protect your computer against this threat.

We use different ways of protecting your computer(s):

• Dynamically Blocks Malware Sites & Servers
  • Malware Execution Prevention

Save yourself the hassle and get protected.

3. My best guess was a Fake Anti-Virus / Malware program which creates a proxy server.

Aha! I remember having one of those rogue anti-virus/malware programs like XP Security 2009 or 2010 or something like that, and I found one of those quick fix solutions that involve putting in some registration code to trick it into thinking you bought it, or something the developer created to delete it off a system if they wanted to... I'm not sure, but I entered the code into the program and it appeared to have left my system. A big mistake I made though, was I forgot to run a couple scans afterwards. So I guess a remnant of that sat on my computer for awhile and something decided to activate it. It clearly installed the proxy... but is that what was accessing Firefox on a different user account? Or could something else have done that?

I would think it was the proxy as it loads when windows starts.

That makes sense... I had disabled the proxy on Firefox on my user account but I had not yet done your fix, so it installed itself on a different account. I see how that works now. xD

I suppose you can close & move this thread now, I'm going to do some Windows Updates (I was going to reinstall AVG Free since it was what I had before and it worked fine, however there was an unsigned driver wanting to be installed that was "Non Plug And Play", so I'm going to try updating cause I don't know why AVG would have unsigned drivers.) and then install one of the firewalls.