How do i check external hard drive without being infected

Hey, just wondering i have this 500gb hdd, and i havnt been on it for ages because i thought it had virsues, probably been 6 months since ive actually been on it, probably even more than that, it has about 100gb of data.

So my qusetion is, i just want to quickly check whats inside that huge hunk of junk. But how do i do that... Because it may have alot of valuable stuff inside but i really dont know what it has except i know it has alot of backups of my pc.... but thats it...

Also im probably going to format it, will formatting my external hard drive remove all viruses on it completely or are there any chacnes of some remaining. If there are viruses on there, and i format it and bring it to a new pc, is there any risk?

so to sum up

1) How do i check it without getting infected

2) Is there a risk if i find a file, and its quite important or valuable, that it has a virus?

3) If there is any rootkit or severly bad viruses will formatting it get rid of it?

4) Just how do i deal with this situation? I mean like i dont want to touch it, i just want to check and delete all the crap in there!

thanks, i couldnt find that old one which is why i started a new thread :)

After you sign in, if you click on your user name at the upper right corner of the screen, it will open a drop-down menu.

Click on "my content" and it will bring up a list of all your threads.

If you click on any one of them, it will open it up.

You can also click on your profile name anywhere, and then, in your profile page, click on "find my content" or "posts" or "topics".

but there are some newer questions here so if someon can answer those other questions im fine :)

Basic steps to scan a USB external HDD or flash drive, especially if you think it might be infected:

1. Disable autorun on your main computer, as ThexDarksider suggested here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=77653&view=findpost&p=399301

2. Install a robust AV program (most of them can be configured to automatically prompt you to scan any USB device when it is detected).

3. After mounting the external hard drive, run a full/deep scan of the device with your AV and MBAM.

Not sure what you mean by question 2.

Question 3: yes, AFAIK, reformatting the drive will usually take care of most or all infections.

Question 4: I answered it as best as I can.

Let's see what the other folks have to suggest,

daledoc1