Thoughts on ChicaPC-Shield

I posted this in a replay in another thread, but at the time did not notice it was an old thread so I am reposting my thoughts on the partnership between Malarebytes and ChicaLogic.

Personally I think this is very bad news indeed, as in my opinion Chicalogic are a very untrustworthy company, and not one that Malwarebytes would want to be associated with an any way.

My reasons for stating the above are as follows:

Chicalogic sell a registry cleaner call Chica-PCfix, it is the same as SLOW-PCfighter which is published by SPAMfighter, but of course with a different name and different graphics. I believe that Chicalogic is actually part of SPAMfighter. The issue I have with Chica-PCfix is sadly, as is the case for many registry cleaners - highly misleading claims are used to sell it. For example "Clean out the clutter causing your PC to be slow. Get your PC running like new again within 1-click!" Which of course sounds good - but however the reality is very different. Many windows experts say that registry cleaners are useless and that cleaning the registry is a complete waste of time. Based on my own personal experience with registry cleaners, I can say that only in very rare cases cleaning the registry can lead to increased performance, or can fix errors. It's worth noting that you have to actually purchase Chica-PCfix before you can find any so called registry errors it finds, and even if many thousands of registry errors are found - cleaning them will often not lead to faster PC performance of fixing of problems or errors.

So, in other words the claim that their product will "get your PC running like new again within 1-click!" is highly dubious at best. They also make other equally dubious claims on their website.

If they were a trustworthy company, they shouldn't make there kinds of outrageous claims in the first place. When I questioned them about this over a year ago I got an unsatisfactory response back. However they did not respond to further emails I sent them. Also, when I started posting on their Facebook page, to draw attention to their questionable business practices they responded by removing the ability for users to post comments on their Facebook page.

The following post at Major Geeks may also provide useful reading:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=217876

It is a discussion about the program Registry Reviver which was another (there are many) renamed version of SLOW-PCfighter. Although they have since switched to Systweak to power this registry cleaner it still should provide interesting reading.