Full scan completes in only 1 minute

Hello, am new to MW Bytes.

Relevant System Info - Win 7 Ultimate, Avast, Comodo Firewall, Spybot Teatimer, Peerblock

Ran the quick scan and no problems found. MWB is blocking a few outgoing IPs...I use uTorrent. That's ok. Though I wonder why Peerblock doesn't have those IPs in its database. ???

Questions:

1) Isn't real-time protection only in the PRO version? Or is IP Blocking just standard in the free version?

2) When I run the full scan it only checks about 150,000 items and then stops after 1 minute. I've read people complaining about it taking too long, but shouldn't a FULL SCAN take longer and scan more objects?

Just re-ran Quick scan now - takes longer than the full scan!! What gives?

Thanks.

FULL SCAN - does less objects, and is a lot faster!!

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)

Objects scanned: 157895

Time elapsed: 52 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Hello and welcome, circusoflife:

Scan times depend on many factors, so it's a bit hard to say.

There may be a conflict with Spybot S&D teatimer, for example.

And you may need to properly set up the reciprocal exclusions between Avast and MBAM.

To answer your first question: real-time IP blocking is a feature only of the PRO version; the FREE version is for manual, on-demand scanning only.

Until an expert arrives, please post back with a bit more info about your system:

• Is your Win7 OS 32-bit or 64-bit?
  • Do you have Win7 SP1?
  • What version of MBAM have you run (current is 1.51.0.1200)?
  • Is your MBAM PRO or FREE?
  • What version of the MBAM database do you have (current is 7011)?
  • What brand and version of antivirus, antimalware, and firewall software do you have?
  • Have you been recently infected, or do you think you might be?

Thanks!

daledoc1

PS: Please use the a8JTu.jpg button instead of other ones when you reply here and at the other forums, so that it will be easier to read. :)

Hi Dale,

Thanks for the reply.

Win 7 Ultimate 32-bit. Service Pack 1 installed.

MWB 1.51.0.1200 - downloaded from download.com - so should be free version. But, it has blocked numerous outgoing IPs from uTorrent -

9:08:33 circusoflife MESSAGE Protection started successfully

09:08:39 circusoflife MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully

09:34:38 circusoflife IP-BLOCK 98.142.251.242 (Type: outgoing, Port: 12880, Process: utorrent.exe)

above blocked numerous more times --- edited out...

09:58:06 circusoflife IP-BLOCK 89.28.43.137 (Type: outgoing, Port: 12880, Process: utorrent.exe)

Was using database version - 7010, just updated to 7011

Avast - 6.0.1125 - latest

Comodo Firewall - 5.4.1899xxx - latest

Don't have any infections that I am aware of. Nothing reported in Avast, MWB, or Spybot.

Hi, circusoflife:

Thanks for the additional info.

Let's assume for now that you are not infected (although I am always wary of folks who run torrent and other P2P software -- "all bets are off").

(FYI -- MBAM does not scan EVERY file and file type on your computer, only certain types among those that could possibly be malicious.)

Also, unless I am having a total "senior moment" I cannot understand how you can be getting IP blocks from the MBAM FREE version -- it does not have that feature. :unsure:

Please start here:

MBAM Clean Re-installation Instructions:

NOTE: You need to be logged in as an administrator.

1. Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here.

Note:It will ask to restart your computer; please allow it to do so -- very important!

2. After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus (AV) and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here. (Note: Ignore any promos or ads for other software/products at the mirror sites; and there is no fee to download MBAM Free.)

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email, if you are using the PRO version.

3. Launch MBAM (and set the Protection and Registration, if you are using the PRO version).

4. Go to the UPDATE tab, if not done during installation, and check for updates.

5. Restart the computer again (and, if you are using the PRO version, verify that the MBAM icon is in the system tray).

6. Set up any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQs here, or ask and we'll explain how to do it. (See below for the specific Avast instructions.)

7. Restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

8. Add the program folder(s) for your AV and FW to MBAM's "Ignore List". (See below.)

9. Set up your scheduled updates & scheduled scans (this only applies to the PRO version). Scheduler help is available here.

10. Run an MBAM Quick Scan.

----------------------------

These instructions are for Steps #6 above:

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Avast! Antivirus 6 (Free, Pro and Internet Security):

• Open Avast! antivirus and click on REAL-TIME SHIELDS on the left
  • Click on File System Shield on the left and click on Expert Settings
  • Click the Exclusions section
  • Click on Browse next to the blank entry at the bottom of the list (this will be the only entry if no other exclusions have been set yet)
  • In the Select the areas window click on the + next to C:
  • Click the + next to Program Files Note: For 64 bit Windows versions this will be Program Files (x86)
  • Click the box next to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on OK
  • Click OK again
  • Click on Web Shield on the left and click Expert Settings
  • Click on Exclusions and check the box next to URLs to exclude:
  • Type or copy/paste the following address:
    *.mbamupdates.com
  • Click on OK
    Also, for Avast! Internet Security:
  • Click on Behavior Shield on the left and click Expert Settings
  • Click on Trusted Processes
  • Click on Browse next to the blank entry at the bottom of the list (this will be the only entry if no other exclusions have been set yet)
  • Navigate to C:Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click once on mbam.exe and click Open Note: For 64 bit Windows versions this will be Program Files (x86)
  • Do the same for the following files:
    • mbamgui.exe
    • mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on OK

[*]Close Avast! antivirus

These steps are for Step #8 above:

Set Exclusions for Avast! Antivirus Free, Pro and Internet Security in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click on the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on avast software and click on OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Let us know how it goes,

daledoc1

daledoc he could have the free version but is using the trial because when you first install the program it asks if you want to use the trial if he just said yes instead of reading that would be why as for his issues a clean reinstall has fixed this issue for others before

daledoc he could have the free version but is using the trial because when you first install the program it asks if you want to use the trial if he just said yes instead of reading that would be why

Ah, yes, the FREE TRIAL!

Being a long-time user since the days before the 14-Day Free trial, I had forgotten about that newly introduced feature.

Thanks for reminding me.

I guess it *was* a "senior moment" for me, after all! ;)

as for his issues a clean reinstall has fixed this issue for others before

Yes, that is why I advised to do just that. :)

It's certainly a good place to start.

Thanks!

daledoc`

Yes, I figured out I was using the free trial. What people don't realize is that there are "junior moments" too and they happen all the time, it's just that people don't want to admit it...so a senior moment is just a continuation!

Ok..I followed the instructions...and same result. Did the clean, reinstalled, etc... Quick scan longer than full scan -- again.

Any other thoughts on fixing this issue?

as an aside..as for uTorrent / P2P....I only ever watch videos (95% AVI / MKV files) and the occasional MP4/MP3...so threat level is very low..in other words, not running executable files. Never have run an executable/batch file etc from P2P... as far as I can recall.

Also turned off Spybot Teatimer but no difference. Well..prognosis not looking good for MBAM. Maybe I try SuperAntiSpyware.... thxs.

Sorry it's still not working.

Did you follow the exact sequence of steps as listed in my earlier post?

One other thing that has worked for a few folks is to uninstall/clean MBAM, then reinstall it, but set the Avast exclusion BEFORE activating it, and THEN activate MBAM.

No need to give up.

It may be some sort of subtle conflict with another installed program or something unique on your rig, such as your hardware configuration (number of hard drives?).

Please sit tight for a while longer, if you can, as it is a US holiday today. Board traffic by the experts and MBAM engineers is a bit light.

I'm quite confident that another pair of fresh, more expert eyes will point to the problem and it's resolution.

They will have several tricks up their sleeve to help sort it out.

Thanks for your patience,

daledoc1

PS If you search the forums here, I think you might turn up several threads about this. I'm not certain that there's a single generic explanation or fix. But you might find a tip or two.

Hola

The exclusions were still in Avast from before...I never removed them. Yes, I followed the instructions as written (Running the clean, rebooting, etc..) except for the Avast WebShield..which shouldn't matter as we're talking about performance on the local machine not network.

I have a HP DV6700 series laptop - one hard drive - 250GB/3GB RAM. Nothing exotic in particular.

The only "anomalies" I can think of...I don't run from the PROGRAM FILES directory...I run from C:\System\Malware...

never a problem...and frankly if it was in this case...poor coding.. / the option to install in another dir shouldn't be given.

My hard drive is encrypted with Windows Bitlocker (In Win 7 Ultimate version)....can't imagine that is a problem..but who knows, stranger things have happened...ok..will monitor the forum for other feedback.

Thanks for your assistance.

OK, well I suppose it's possible that *some* it could be some sort of "one-off" situation between your non-default installation directory, your hard-drive encryption, or something else.

It's definitely over my pay-grade.

I expect the engineers will request some additional system info, e.g. by running OTL or DDS, and they will take it from there.

Thanks for your patience!

daledoc1