MSSE - Constantly warning "Potentially unprotected

Hi guys, just been doing a bit of scouting around for a new problem I am experiencing with Microsoft Security Essentials.

Reference this topic - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_scanning/computer-potentially-unprotected-notice-question/2050a5f1-0435-464c-9695-2fbe9a560caa?page=1

I do not have the paid for version of MBAM installed - Prefer to run it non-resident with MSSE as my frontline resident scanner.

But since a recent update to MBAM (which includes a free trial of the full version) MSSE is now permanently Orange and warning "Computer Status - Potentially Un-Protected" You havent run a scan on your computer for a while.

Today, yesterday, day before.... twice in one day (today) - Still getting the warning.

In the topic linked above the MSSE crowd are associating the problem with the full version of MBAM

And as mentioned this problem has only started since MBAMs update including the free trial of the full version - Which I have not enabled.

Any ideas?

I have had a MBAM paid version issue (Program_Error_Load_Database) that has gone away with the new version of MSSE.

Check your version of MSSE. If it is not 2.1.1116.0 then download the latest version, uninstall the current version then reinstall the new version. See if that helps.

Hello w33d3r:

Please try following the instructions for reciprocal exclusions in the MBAM FAQ, Section I.

Please use the Add-Reply.png button instead of other and relate your results. :)

After adding the three process names to the exclusion list, and then updating MalwareBytes ... Next step should be "then enable the protection module" which I do not want to do so then went for a reboot - Left the computer for a while to let MSSE check itself and the current setup out and it once again turned orange with the warning ... however ....

I have had a MBAM paid version issue (Program_Error_Load_Database) that has gone away with the new version of MSSE.

Check your version of MSSE. If it is not 2.1.1116.0 then download the latest version, uninstall the current version then reinstall the new version. See if that helps.

^^ This has solved the problem. So much for MSSE updating itself - The auto-definition updates have been happening but obviously it has got a little behind the times with updating itself.

I also noticed that when given a warning that it was out of date for a scan, leaving the radio button checked just to do a Quick scan (instead of the Full scan) would actually initiate a Full scan.

The new version just installed behaves as expected now.

Thank you both for the suggestions. ;)

MSE will got to yellow once in a while just to warn you that you have not updated or if you have not scanned your computer in some time.

All you have to do is open MSE and click on the update if that is what it wants. If its a scan its looking for, then just simply do a quick scan and once its done it will revert back to green.

This really has nothing to do with Malwarebytes being active or not, since Malwarebytes is NOT an anti-virus program.

MSE would have eventually updated itself to 2.1.1116.0. Microsoft release new versions on their download page first, then over a period of time (sometimes weeks) add it to manual update, then finally auto update.