pc desktop image only?

Hi :) I came here for help with a virus a while back and you all were so knowledgeable I figured I'd try here first. Our PC was recently in for service to replace the power supply and when we got it back I noticed my anti-virus software was missing. I couldn't remember the name or find any related emails so I shut the computer down once I verified it was working properly and thought nothing of it. When I powered it back up today to try to reinstall the anti-virus all I see is my background image and a mouse cursor. My icons are not there and ctrl-alt-del does not bring up the task manager. I'm not sure if this can be a virus as I was only online briefly to search the names of anti-virus programs. Any help of what to do next would be greatly appreciated since I can't find or run malwarebytes.

Thanks!

~Kim

• Staff

Hi Kim,

You should really find out what the people who "serviced" your computer actually did.

Please update MBAM, run a Quick Scan, and post its log.

Next, download DDS by sUBs and save it to your Desktop.

Double-click on the DDS icon and let the scan run. When it has run two logs will be produced, please post only DDS.txt directly into your reply.

I was unable to update Malware Bytes possibly because I had to start Windows in Safe Mode to see my programs (still no desktop and all my icons are enormous) - received the following Error Code: 732(12007,0) then 732(0,0)

I ran a quick scan with the old version I have and here is the log, I'm proceeding to step 2 with DDS now:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44

Database version: 3828

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 (Safe Mode)

Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13

7/5/2011 8:15:31 PM

mbam-log-2011-07-05 (20-15-31).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan

Objects scanned: 117479

Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 39 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I was unable to save DDS to my desktop as it's black with no icons, but I was able to save it there and run it instead of double clicking it. It's been over 3 minutes and no logs have popped up. I know everything is substantially slower in safe mode so I'll leave it up until I hear back in hopes it will finish?

• Staff

Hi,

Please do the following:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Is your monitor on?? Can you see anything??

These are links to Anti-virus vendors that offer free LiveCD or Rescue CD files that are used to boot from for repair of unbootable and damaged systems, rescue data, scan the system for virus infections. Burn it as an image to a disk to get a bootable CD. All (except Avira) are in the ISO Image file format. Avira uses an EXE that has built-in CD burning capability.

If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO. If you need a FREE utility to burn the ISO image, download and use ImgBurn.

Let me know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this thread is closed or not. But yes my monitor is on. As I stated previously, the computer does boot. But the desktop is black with only a mouse cursor. When I boot in safe mode I can then see my desktop image and icons which are larger than normal, however I can only access programs through the start menu. May be something not related to a virus though, sorry for wasting your time!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!