kentuckycuz

Search Redirection - MB or AVG will not update

Well, not really cycling anymore :huh: It's going through startup repair and then saying that it cannot repair the computer automatically and then it shuts down. I can still get to system recovery though.

Okay, go ahead and do system recovery. Let me know what happens

Okay, what are we talking about b/c I just meant the System Recovery Options page lol. Are you talking about using the reinstallation disk?

On the recovery options, there's several different options that I don't really know about: System Image Recovery, Dell Factory Image Restore (I think maybe I can use that one instead of the reinstallation disk??) idk.

My mistake, I meant System Restore. Are you able to perform a System Restore?

Oh, yea, I tried that again too and it said it couldn't complete it successfully. That's twice I've tried it.

It appears that we're out of options I'm afraid. :(

Can you do a Dell Factory Image Restore (Factory Reset)? This will reset your computer back to out-of-the-box settings, and unfortunately, you'll lose all of your data.

Let me know what you plan to do.

It's all good! You've tried your best and I'm VERY grateful for that! Now, if you can talk me through this, I'd appreciate it. It's NOT a BIG deal with his computer, really, b/c I've got backups of all of his data on my computer, so it's not really that bad.

Okay, now for the "deed" ... is Dell Factory Image Restore the best way to go? or should I use the Reinstall CD? AND, when do I do the MBR Restore? After or before?

For instructions on returning your computer to factory settings, see this link on Dell's website: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?&docid=DSN_336966&isLegacy=true#Issue2

(They can explain it much better than I can)

Okay, now for the "deed" ... is Dell Factory Image Restore the best way to go? or should I use the Reinstall CD? AND, when do I do the MBR Restore? After or before?

Yes, Dell (and HP similarly) have a built-in Factory Reset setting. Let's hold off on anything to do with the MBR for now. Everything you need is in the link above :)

After you've returned it to Factory settings, let me know, and we'll run a scan to make sure things are clean before moving on ;)

No worries. :)

I do apologize for the inconvenience- I wish it didn't end up like this. :(

If you need any assistance during the Factory reset, don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

-DFB

This is bad!!! I did the reset just fine. Then, it said to click finish (or something) and it would reboot into factory settings, this stupid black window came back up that says Windows Error Recovery!!!! It's asking me to run Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally!!! OMG!

Do you have the Windows 7 Installation Disc in the drive?

No, I used the Dell Factory Image Restore that was on the computer. Should I try the Reinstallation DVD?

Sure, try the Re installation DVD. Let me know how it goes ;)

It's asking me where I want to install it:

Disk 0 Partition 1

Disk 0 Partition 2: Recovery

Disk 0 Partition 3: OS

I'm assuming partition 3 b/c it has "primary" listed as the type and it has the most GB.

Another thing I'm concerned about, on the envelope it says that the product key code may be needed. The disk that I'm using came with MY computer. My son's computer has that recovery partition on it that's supposed to work (but didn't) so his didn't come with a disk. I don't see a product key code on the bottom of his laptop but there's one on mine. Can I use that number if they ask for it? It's the very same Windows 7 Home Edition.

That's what I'm not entirely sure about. I will inquire with some experts about that.

I remember earlier you said that you created a set of Recovery Discs for the computer... do you still have them (NOT the Reinstallation Disc) ?

The recovery disk was what I used the first time I tried it ... well, the computer called it a repair disc. It's what didn't work. I kind of figured maybe it was b/c the computer was already infected when I made it. I do have an older set of recovery disks that I made for my desktop. They're Windows Vista which is what we had on our old computers.

This reinstallation disk did have an option to repair the computer on it. I probably should've tried that first.

Yes, try the "Repair" option. Let me know what happens ;)