kentuckycuz

Search Redirection - MB or AVG will not update

Okay, leave the CD in there, reboot, and try this:

You will need to boot with your Vista/Windows 7 installation disk. Hit Enter at the language selection prompt then hit "R" to get to the repair section. You can then select the automatic boot repair tool, but it often will not do any good. Then select the command prompt (console) and type in the following commands:

BootRec.exe /fixmbr

chkdsk /r

BootRec.exe /FixBoot

BootRec.exe /ScanOs

BootRec.exe /RebuildBcd

Let me know how it goes

Go ahead, since we didn't really do anything at this point

I did something wrong. It had the screen where English was already chosen and it had a pull down asking what input method ... or keyboard or something. I hit enter and then R but nothing happened. It took me to the normal screen where it's got several selections, including a command prompt at the bottom (like what's pictured in step 4 on the MBR restore instructions). Then I hit R and it just restarted the computer.

That's okay, just go through it one more time- it should work ;)

Once you press R, click the command prompt and go through the commands I've listed above :)

OKay, I restarted, booted from CD, and I've got a totally different screen. It's the Windows Boot Manager. It's asking me to choose an operating system to start (Windows 7 is listed) ... I clicked on Windows 7. Does this sound right?

No, you want to get back to the System Recovery menu.

Once in the Recovery menu, click Command Prompt and go from there

You had it right the first time, except you pressed R a second time which rebooted ;)

Now it's ticked off at me again. It's going through the startup repair thing. Should I stop it or just let it finish?

Okay, it finally got through the startup repair, I went to reboot and it started it again, and I hit cancel. I went to System Recovery, Command Prompt, and put everything in like you had listed. Most of them said "The operation completed sucessfully" except when I put in "chkdsk/r" it said it "cannot lock current drive windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected"

Right now, I'm still in the black command prompt box. What now?

Ok, now reboot the computer, and run MBRCheck. Post the log that it creates ;)

It went into startup repair again!!! It keeps doing that but it never fixes anything. It's run through it 5-6 times. So, I hit cancel on this one; but that didn't work b/c it just went right back to it. It takes forever to go through it! And, it doesn't work but I'll give it a shot since I put those commands in. Maybe it can fix itself. I'll post when it gets done and I run the MBRCheck :)

It ended with "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically" I clicked Finish and it shut down. I went to turn it back on and it flashed a blue screen that had all kinds of crap on it and then went straight to "Windows Error Recovery" again and back into startup repair. OMG!!

Go ahead and let it go through Startup Repair, but don't let it go into System Restore.

If you still encounter this issue again, let me know and we'll try something else.