kentuckycuz

Search Redirection - MB or AVG will not update

Oh, can I just right click and delete this Security Shield and MBR Check or should I leave them on here a few days to keep checking?

I'd say just keep them for a little longer ;)

It's still going well. I'm still downloading stuff!! It is really slow but I'm still working on the Window updates so maybe that'll speed it up or something. I'll let you know when everything is on it.

I'm finally finished downloading all of this stuff. The computer has really been slow though, BUT I think maybe my connection isn't too great today. I've heard the computer make some weird sounds, churning kind of when it's lifted up. It's kind of weird. Can something like this cause hardware damage? Idk, maybe it's in my head ;)

There's another thing too that is weird ... the touchpad doesn't scroll anymore. It still works correctly but you know how you can roll your finger on the side and it'll scroll the page, it won't do it at all. I thought I remembered seeing something about it somewhere on the computer ... where you can set its sensitivity or something but I can't find anything. Do you know anything about that?

Outside of all that, is there anything else I need to do? I've installed AVG and Malwarebytes and ran both. No infections.

Oh, and just for old time's sake ;)

MBRCheck, version 1.2.3

© 2010, AD

Command-line:

Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium Edition

Windows Information: (build 7600), 64-bit

Base Board Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

BIOS Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Product Name: Inspiron 1545

Logical Drives Mask: 0x0000001c

Kernel Drivers (total 156):

0x0284F000 \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

0x02806000 \SystemRoot\system32\hal.dll

0x00BA7000 \SystemRoot\system32\kdcom.dll

0x00C60000 \SystemRoot\system32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll

0x00CA4000 \SystemRoot\system32\PSHED.dll

0x00CB8000 \SystemRoot\system32\CLFS.SYS

0x00D16000 \SystemRoot\system32\CI.dll

0x00E31000 \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\Wdf01000.sys

0x00ED5000 \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\WDFLDR.SYS

0x00EE4000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ACPI.sys

0x00F3B000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.SYS

0x00F44000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\msisadrv.sys

0x00F4E000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys

0x00F81000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\vdrvroot.sys

0x00F8E000 \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\partmgr.sys

0x00FA3000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\compbatt.sys

0x00FAC000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\BATTC.SYS

0x00FB8000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\volmgr.sys

0x00C00000 \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\volmgrx.sys

0x00FCD000 \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\mountmgr.sys

0x00FE7000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys

0x00E00000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ataport.SYS

0x00FF0000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\msahci.sys

0x00DD6000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\PCIIDEX.SYS

0x00DE6000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\amdxata.sys

0x01033000 \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys

0x0107F000 \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\fileinfo.sys

0x01251000 \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

0x01093000 \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\msrpc.sys

0x01200000 \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\ksecdd.sys

0x010F1000 \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\cng.sys

0x0121A000 \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\pcw.sys

0x0122B000 \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fs_Rec.sys

0x01442000 \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\ndis.sys

0x01534000 \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\NETIO.SYS

0x01594000 \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\ksecpkg.sys

0x01601000 \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\tcpip.sys

0x01164000 \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\fwpkclnt.sys

0x011AE000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\volsnap.sys

0x015BF000 \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\spldr.sys

0x01400000 \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\rdyboost.sys

0x015C7000 \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\mup.sys

0x015D9000 \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\hwpolicy.sys

0x0181C000 \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\fvevol.sys

0x01856000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\disk.sys

0x0186C000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS

0x0189C000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\avgrkx64.sys

0x018A8000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\AVGIDSEH.Sys

0x018EA000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

0x01914000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\avgmfx64.sys

0x01923000 \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Null.SYS

0x0192C000 \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Beep.SYS

0x01933000 \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vga.sys

0x01941000 \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\VIDEOPRT.SYS

0x01966000 \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\watchdog.sys

0x01976000 \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\RDPCDD.sys

0x0197F000 \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\rdpencdd.sys

0x01988000 \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\rdprefmp.sys

0x01991000 \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Msfs.SYS

0x0199C000 \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Npfs.SYS

0x019AD000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\tdx.sys

0x019CB000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\TDI.SYS

0x02CC9000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\avgtdia.sys

0x02D29000 \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\netbt.sys

0x02D6E000 \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\afd.sys

0x02DF7000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\wfplwf.sys

0x02C00000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\pacer.sys

0x02C26000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\vwififlt.sys

0x02C3C000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\netbios.sys

0x02C4B000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\wanarp.sys

0x02C66000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\termdd.sys

0x03A05000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys

0x03A56000 \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\nsiproxy.sys

0x03A62000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mssmbios.sys

0x03A6D000 \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\discache.sys

0x03A7C000 \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\dfsc.sys

0x03A9A000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\blbdrive.sys

0x03AAB000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\avgldx64.sys

0x03AFA000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\tunnel.sys

0x03C15000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\igdkmd64.sys

0x04223000 \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys

0x04317000 \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgmms1.sys

0x0435D000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbuhci.sys

0x0436A000 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\USBPORT.SYS

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.17

Windows 7 (UAC is enabled)

Internet Explorer 8

``````````````````````````````

Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Windows Firewall Enabled!

WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.

```````````````````````````````

Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Adobe Flash Player

Adobe Reader X (10.1.0)

Mozilla Firefox (x86 en-US..)

````````````````````````````````

Process Check:

objlist.exe by Laurent

AVG avgwdsvc.exe

AVG avgtray.exe

``````````End of Log````````````

Your logs appear to be clean :D!

I'm finally finished downloading all of this stuff. The computer has really been slow though, BUT I think maybe my connection isn't too great today. I've heard the computer make some weird sounds, churning kind of when it's lifted up. It's kind of weird. Can something like this cause hardware damage? Idk, maybe it's in my head ;)

Since you reinstalled Windows, there shouldn't be anything on your computer that might be causing the slowness. My inclination would be that it is hardware related, if not connection related ;)

As for the churning sound, that might just be the hard drive (do you still have the Windows CD in the drive?)- I wouldn't try to hold it in odd positions like that, it may actually damage the computer.

There's another thing too that is weird ... the touchpad doesn't scroll anymore. It still works correctly but you know how you can roll your finger on the side and it'll scroll the page, it won't do it at all. I thought I remembered seeing something about it somewhere on the computer ... where you can set its sensitivity or something but I can't find anything. Do you know anything about that?

Try reinstalling or updating your device drivers - it should work after that :)

Also, this link might provide fruitful ;): http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_361927&isLegacy=true

Outside of all that, is there anything else I need to do? I've installed AVG and Malwarebytes and ran both. No infections.

sure! I will provide you with some more suggestions for security software ;):

Please consider using these ideas to help secure your computer. While there is no way to guarantee safety when you use a computer, these steps will make it much less likely that you will need to endure another infection. While we really like to help people, we would rather help you protect yourself so that you won't need that help in the future. :)

Please either enable Automatic Updates under Start -> Control Panel -> Automatic Updates or get into the habit of checking Windows Update regularly. They usually have security updates every month. You can set Windows to notify you of Updates so that you can choose, but only do this if you believe you are able to understand which ones are needed. This is a crucial security measure.

Please consider installing and running some of the following programs; they are either free or have free versions of commercial programs:

Spybot-Search & Destroy

A tutorial on using Spybot to remove spyware from your computer may be found here. Please also remember to enable Spybot's "Immunize" and "TeaTimer" features if you don't have the resident part of another anti-spyware program running.

SpywareBlaster

A tutorial on using SpywareBlaster to prevent malware from ever installing on your computer may be found here.

SpywareGuard

A tutorial on using SpywareGuard for real-time protection against spyware and hijackers may be found here.

Please, consider maintaining a firewall with HIPS (Host Intrusion Prevention Systems). Firewalls are extremely important and are the first part of your computer's defense. HIPS stops malware by monitoring its behavior and it's very important, too.

A firewall is a software program or piece of hardware that helps screen out hackers, viruses, and worms that try to reach your computer over the Internet.

If you are using the Windows Firewall please note that it doesn't monitor or block outbound traffic and is therefore less effective than other free alternatives.

These firewalls are good and do have free versions available

A tutorial on understanding and using firewalls may be found here.

If you use Internet Explorer, it is a good idea to use IE-Spyad for ZonedOut which provides protections against malicious websites. (Requires 2 downloads)

Please keep these programs up-to-date and run them whenever you suspect a problem to prevent malware problems. A number of programs have resident protection and it is a good idea to run the resident protection of one of each type of program to maintain protection. However, it is important to run only one resident program of each type since they can conflict and become less effective. That means only one antivirus, firewall and scanning anti-spyware program at a time. Passive protectors, like SpywareBlaster and IE-Spyad can be run with any of them.

Note that there are a lot of rogue programs out there that want to scare you into giving them your money and some malware actually claims to be security programs. If you get a popup for a security program that you did not install yourself, do NOT click on it and ask for help immediately. It is very important to run an antivirus and firewall, but you can't always rely on reviews and ads for information. Ask in a security forum that you trust if you are not sure. If you are unsure and looking for anti-spyware programs, you can find out if it is a rogue here:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

A similar category of programs is now called "scareware." Scareware programs are active infections that will pop-up on your computer and tell you that you are infected. If you look closely, it will usually have a name that looks like it might be legitimate, but it is NOT one of the programs you installed. It tells you to click and install it right away. If you click on any part of it, including the 'X' to close it, you may actually help it infect your computer further. Keeping protection updated and running resident protection can help prevent these infections. If it happens anyway, get offline as quickly as you can. Pull the internet connection cable or shut down the computer if you have to. Contact someone to help by using another computer if possible. These programs are also sometimes called 'rogues', but they are different than the older version of rogues mentioned above.

Please consider using an alternate browser. Mozilla's Firefox browser is a very good alternative. In addition to being generally more secure than Internet Explorer, it has a very good built-in popup blocker and add-ons, like NoScripts, can make it even more secure. Opera is another good option.

If you are interested, Firefox may be downloaded from here

Opera is available here: http://www.opera.com/download/

For much more useful information, please also read Tony Klein's excellent article: How did I get infected in the first place

Hopefully these steps will help to keep you error free. If you run into more difficulty, we will certainly do what we can to help. :)

-----------

If you have any more concerns, don't hesitate to ask :)

Everything is going well, I just wanted to let you know. I'll put Spybot and one of the firewall links you gave on this weekend sometime. I didn't realize that Windows Firewall didn't work as well! So, I guess I'll put it on mine too :) Thank you, once again, for everything you did. You put a lot of time and effort into helping and it was greatly appreciated.

Cya next time I get a virus!! ;)

Everything is going well, I just wanted to let you know. I'll put Spybot and one of the firewall links you gave on this weekend sometime. I didn't realize that Windows Firewall didn't work as well! So, I guess I'll put it on mine too :)

Glad to hear things went well ;).

Thank you, once again, for everything you did. You put a lot of time and effort into helping and it was greatly appreciated.

You are welcome! :)

Since this issue is resolved I will close the thread to prevent others from posting here. If you need assistance please start your own topic and someone will be happy to assist you.