Firefox 3.6.18 unable to access Hotmail account

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but this just started happening awhile back.

I can open\close my Hotmail account with Firefox but cant open any mail or folder. Chrome and IE 8 work fine. I thought I would go back to a former restore point but there aren't any. Not sure if I should run through all the various tests or if Microsoft just changed Hotmail in some manner.

Thanks in advance for your help

funny enough iv been having this problem my self but i run noscript addon it turns out it was no script blocking a script they aparently changed if your using noscript allow the site scripts to run and it should go back to normal if not then im sorry but i dont know what htep roblem is

Hello and welcome, Zeus101159:

Although this is a "PC help" forum, I think you might have better luck (in terms of higher traffic from more Firefox experts & gurus) here:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/

or here:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/ask

While you are waiting to hear back from the experts and members here at MBAM forums, I would probably start with one of those 2 support sites, especially the mozillazine forum.

It may not be due to infection, especially if there is no other suspicious behavior by the computer.

However, if you think there is the possibility of infection, please read below:

If you would like expert assistance with cleaning your system, there are 3 support options from which to choose:

• Option 1 -- Free, Expert advice in the Malware Removal Forum
  • Option 2 -- Paying customer using MBAM PRO -- Contact MBAM Support via email
  • Option 3 -- Premium, Fee-Based Support

OPTION 1

As we don't deal with malware removal in this General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum, you need to start a topic in the Malware Removal forum so that a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems/infections you may have.

• First, please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete.
  • If the infection has so crippled the computer that you cannot follow most/all of the requested steps, then please just proceed as advised below:
  • Then please post a NEW topic here.
  • When posting your new thread, please make sure that, under "options", you select Track this topic and choose Immediate Email Notification, so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.
  • One of the expert helpers there will give you free, one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.
  • Please refrain from making any further changes to your computer such as (Install/Uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc...) unless advised by a malware removal helper. Doing so can result in system changes which may hinder the attempts by a helper to clean your machine.

NOTE: Please DO NOT post back to ("bump") your topic within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count and helpers are looking for topics with zero replies. If you reply to your own post, helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus overlook your post.

• o If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.
    Or
    o You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

OPTION 2

Alternatively, as a paying customer using MBAM PRO, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or here.

OPTION 3

If you would like to use the Malwarebytes Premium Services (Comprehensive solutions to all your computer support needs -- from installation and set-up to troubleshooting and tune-ups), please go to the Malwarebytes Premium Services support site.

Please be patient, someone will assist you as soon as it is possible.

Thanks!

daledoc1

PS: Please use the a8JTu.jpg button instead of other ones when you reply here and at the other forums, so that it will be easier to read. :)

From my experience, I thought along the same lines as sevensages.

If you're using the NoScript add-on, make sure you allow wrxls.com, otherwise you can log in but can't navigate to folders in Hotmail.

Here are some KB articles with basic troubleshooting steps for Firefox:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_%28Firefox%29

First step is to run Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode (NOT the same thing as Windows Safe Mode) with all extensions disabled.

If the problem is resolved, then it is most likely an extension that is causing the problem.

The next step is to re-enable the extensions, one at a time, then closing the restarting Firefox.

The last one enabled that recreates the issue is the one causing the problem.

If that doesn't work, then there are additional steps, e.g. starting with a new, fresh, clean profile, etc.

Anyway, if you search the boards at mozillazine forums, you will find several threads about this.

For example, see here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2241983

Sorry, but I don't use hotmail, so I can't provide more specific suggestions....

Cheers,

daledoc1

Thanks for the info. I guess I assumed I had a virus. Will go to Mozilla. I was browsing thru settings and seen something called whitesmoke running but didnt know what it was. Ran MWB but came up with nothing so its probably just Mozilla related. Thanks for your replies!

Hi, Zeus101159:

Did you resolve your issue -- perhaps try Mystery's suggestion.

There have been some weird blocking issues with NoScript lately -- I experienced one myself yesterday -- so be sure you update it to the latest build.

That said, you might want to search the forums here about "whitesmoke" and "whitesmoke toolbar".

You might want to have the malware experts take a look at your system, after all.

Since we cannot work on this here in this particular PC Help sub-forum, please review & follow my suggestions in my original reply above, starting a new thread in the malware removal forum.

The only other thing I might mention is that support for the 3.6.x branch of Fx will be ending soon.

There is at least one more scheduled build (3.6.19) due in August.

But, eventually, you'll need to update to the other branch, starting with Fx 5 and going from there (Fx 6, Fx 7, etc). This is important for security (and stability).

Anyway, that's all I can think of at the moment.

We'll see what the other folks & experts might add,

daledoc1

Hi, ty for your suggestions. I found out it was a conflict with an add on\ext for Firefox. Instead of spending any more time futzing with it I just started using Chrome.

I too updated to FF4 but rolled back to 3.6.18 as my fave addons weren't compatible. Chrome works for me okay. Now all I need is a good video grabber and I'll be set.

Thanks again for your help!