Pro causes system to be slow or freeze

Bought pro. installed in on a system with avg-free up-to-date. system would take forever to respond to most keystrokes. Took pro off and just installed free (no trial) just to have it there for manual scans. Runs okay now. Tried the same thing on another system and got the same result. System is so busy (hourglass) that I can't even get taskmanager to come up so I could verify if pro is hogging the time. This is just at initial desktop. No programs or scans running (by either mbam or avg). I've seen some topics here about making exclusions but those topics weren't on avg so don't know what to exclude in this case.

Both systems XP up-to-date. Pro with full protections on and it ran its update. Would like to use this but clearly some conflict with the very common avg.

I'll give it a try. May I suggest then that on installing mbampro that it pop up a window and say if you're using another anti-v you probably need to exclude files and here's a link to our faq, or if you detect common anti-v like avg you provide a link directly to instructions on that. I'm usually not a dummy about these things but I suppose I've lost several hours, waiting for an absurdly slow system to respond, trying various things to see why it was running slow, every step taking forever, finally uninstalling mbam and deciding it must be flawed, trying it on another system, searching the forums here, etc., all for lack of a simple piece of information.

Nope. Doesn't help. It's a neat trick to do, since the system moves so slow you think it's locked up. Bringing up avg to change settings would take hours. So I had to boot to safe mode, uninstall mbam, reboot, then set exclusions in avg. And that isn't easy because you can't just give it a path or file, it has to see it as there. So I had to make dummy folders and files to add them to avg exclusions. Then reinstall mbam. Everything went back to slow as a geological plate. So...rebooted in safe mode, uninstalled mbam, reboot, bring up avg and turn off resident shield altogether. Not sure what good it is then. But trojans on other systems have gotten past avg so I figure if I can only have one running I'll try mbam. Then reinstalled mbam (again, pro with resident protection). Now that things are running (though without avg resident shield) I could go into avg settings and verify I had exclusions right. I did.

With AVG running, try installing the free version of malwarebytes, do not register it yet. Once it is installed, then go into avg and enter the exceptions for malwarebytes. Once you have that done, then register your malwarebytes and start the protection.

I can try something like that. After I've previously registered a copy on a system, then uninstall and reinstall, it seems to remember the registration. What I could do is go through setting up the exceptions now because the system is working and it would let me do that, with avg resident shield off, but mbam is there so avg would see the files to exclude. Then I could turn avg resident shield back on and see what it does. So has someone at mbam actually used mbam and avg11 together with these exclusions and it works there?

I would say yes we have plenty of folks that use AVG 11 and Malwarebytes together, and after ending the exclusions it works fine.

To do a proper uninstall just run the mbam-clean tool as stated below:

Please do the following:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

• Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Nope, didn't work. I still ended up with what seemed like a frozen machine. And every test takes forever, some variation on the sequence: reboot to safe mode, uninstall mbam, reboot normal, turn off avg shield, maybe run mbam cleaner, maybe reboot again, install mbam, activate shield, try some things to see if it's running. If it isn't and I have to power cycle I'm risking trashing the HD. I'll just have to hope you all get it worked out. In the meantime since on other systems a trojan got past avg I've taken avg off entirely and just have mbam. I know that's not recommended but it's the best compromise for now.