MBAM hoax?

Hello everyone.

I've just readed very interesting thing on Anti-malware.ru forums.

It looks like MBAM is using file name and it's location to determine if it is malware or not.

For example:

tpfsM.png

I have created fake, empty svchost.exe file and placed it on C: drive.

And below result of the scan:

GL2nr.png

The same file placed on desktop or D: drive, scanned using the same malware database is CLEAN!!!

So I am asking - is MBAM fooling us?

I wouldn't say fooling. There shouldn't be a svchost.exe in the root of your drive.

One of our developers may comment further..

There shouldn't be a svchost.exe file on my desktop too, but when placed fake file on desktop, MBAM says it is clean.

Quite strange isn't it?

• Staff

Mbam uses a bunch of detection methods. This is part of our heuristics. There should not be a name svchost in that location so its detected that way. This allows detecting stuff that we may not have a file signature on. Malware loves to name files svchost.

Long and short we are not an AV and dont detect solely based on file signatures.

So I am asking - is MBAM fooling us?

No. They just fooled... you. :lol:

And if you opened that "empty file" with a hex editor, guess what? It's not empty. You yourself call it fake and you're faulting MBAM for flagging it? If you don't like that it's categorized as a tojan-agent then suggest a better type.

I'd come up with something a bit more descriptive myself (and unfit for polite company) if I spotted a svchost.exe file in the root of C: as would screen317 I'm sure!

MBAM worked just fine in this instance. I think... I could stand to be corrected.

Cheers.

• Staff

We employ a wide range of strategies and tend to use the hammer that fits the job. Sometimes it is a per download polymorphic infection that is always randomly named, sometimes it is as simple as svchost.exe in a foolish location.

We do what needs to be done to keep you safe.

• Staff
And why original svchost.exe, digitally signed by MS, placed in C:\Windows is also flagged as "Trojan.Agent"

Why would a digitally signed copy of svchost.exe be placed in C:\Windows?

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22C%3A\windows\svchost.exe%22&hl=en&num=100&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=off&tbs=

There is no reason NOT to detect %WINDIR%\svchost.exe.

Although I have once in the past assumed this, I was a bit shocked when I saw this earlier today.

I am not shocked about the detection of svchost.exe file (no matter the file) in different location rather than the one it should be, but I am shocked about the whitelisting by filename only. Wilderssecurity has even deeper thread re. this. Whitelisting this way should be avoided, it is quite unprofessional, IMO. It is dangerous and might be expoited by malicious code authors who have read these topics.

• Staff

Although I have once in the past assumed this, I was a bit shocked when I saw this earlier today.

I am not shocked about the detection of svchost.exe file (no matter the file) in different location rather than the one it should be, but I am shocked about the whitelisting by filename only. Wilderssecurity has even deeper thread re. this. Whitelisting this way should be avoided, it is quite unprofessional, IMO. It is dangerous and might be expoited by malicious code authors who have read these topics.

Malwarebytes is a small fish when compared to the total security industry so any attempt to exploit this would not have any tangible gains for them. Malcoders concentrate on bypassing as many security applications as possible and as a result things like new custom packer technology is what we actually see.

That being said this is an older technique that is being phased out.