Avast! (FREE version); Should I obtain a different Firewall than the Windows Firewall?

Guest spc3rd

Guest spc3rd

Good morning everyone!

Two days ago I decided to remove the McAfee AV software from my computer and download the Avast 6 (free version) instead...since, from what I'd read, Avast! works well with the MBAM Pro I have installed (real-time scanning enabled). Avast 6 is also not the system resource hog McAfee tends to be either!

Since Avast 6 does not have a Firewall, my Win XP Pro Firewall is, of course, now active again.

My question: Should I install some different type FREE firewall product, or should the Windows Firewall be adequate?

(I have seen a few comments on some other forums, to the effect, that Wndows Firewall was considered mediocre.

Thank you for your time and any comments/suggestions!

Hello Pete....

I think its going to be a matter of choice and personal preference....

I am content with a windows firewall, and others will tell you to use something different.

One of the reasons I am content with the windows firewall, is because all my computers are behind a router (which is more or less a firewall in itself) and together with a windows firewall they seem to do the trick for me.

Hi spc3rd, Good move by going to Avast and combining that with MBAM Pro :)

Xp firewall is pretty hopeless at best so for good free firewalls i would suggest Online Armor as number 1 and then Privatefirewall, if you choose to go for a paid firewall you cant go past Outpost Pro imo.

I agree with Firefox. If you are behind a router, the Windows Firewall should be sufficient. If you are not, I prefer using Online Armour. That is exactly what I am doing with my own systems and I have had ZERO problems since implementing these steps. Hope that helps.

Guest spc3rd

For Firefox, Jeff, and craigb!

Just wanted to thank each of you for your insight, comments, and suggestions!

One common denominator I've noted about the MBAM site, is there are always many knowledgeable community members, moderators, etc here with varied expertise to address nearly every inquiry a visitor (or community member) might present!

Many thanks again for all your help!

Your welcome, as Firefox has mentioned a router does provide that extra level of in bound protection but if something does manage to get through it will still have free reign to create outbound connection's which is why a third party firewall is still prefered.

Guest spc3rd

Hey again CraigB!

I have a feeling I do NOT have a router here. Cox Communications is my ISP, cable TV provider, and landline phone provider. I have a modem, and in the bedroom is some kind of device called an "Ares"...which supposedly has something to do with the phone service provided.

THREE questions I have: (1) - if I go and download the free "armor firewall", will it automatically go ahead and deactivate the Windows Firewall [like the McAfee Firewall did]; (2)- are there any particular things I need to do to set the "armor firewall up? (3) - Will the armor firewall present any conflicts with my MBAM Pro running in real-time scanning mode?

As always...I appreciate all your help!

Guest spc3rd

Almost forgot to inquire about one other thing CraigB...

Would using that online armor firewall present any conflicts with the AVAST 6 free antivirus I'm using?

Thanks again!

Haven't used Online Armor in a while' not the new 5 version anyway but yes i believe it disables the windows firewall and it works well with MBAM Pro and Avast, in the installing process you will be asked if you wish to trust everything on you computer and as long as you know that everything you have on there are safe and your system is clean then set it to trust which makes things much more easyer for the automated setting up process.

Once it's all installed go to the application list or installed programs, whatever it is called now ? and make sure that everything for MBAM and Avast are set to allow everything, you can also place the program folder for Online Armor into the exclusions in Avast file system shield and the ignore list of Malwarebytes, the later may not be needed but just in case, then your good to go :)

Guest spc3rd

Thanks again for the add'l info CraigB! Sorry about being somewhat late in posting back too! (Was so worn-out...I decided to hit the sack quite early yesterday)

Cheers!

an afterthought ...

did you use the uninstaller that came with the old AV or one of the AV removal tools (such as those mentioned at this site) ?

i have found that mcafee leaves behind a lot of stuff . <_<

files and folders , registry entries , etc .

yep ... it is a resource hog .

personally speaking (only) , it is not even on my list of choices and has not been for almost 10 years .

Guest spc3rd

Morning CWB!

The procedure(s) I followed were:

1. Removed all McAfee programs from the Add/Remove Programs List in the Control.

(The only one which would NOT remove was the McAfee Virtual Technician program)

2. Ran the MCPR tool 3 times to remove any remnants of the McAfee program components. (Again, this would not remove the MVT program from the list).

Some of the recommendations I've received [not only from here, but other sources as well], have provided some rather extensive actions involving manipulating the registry. This is something which I am not only unfamiliar with, but VERY hesitant to even attempt! In my view, the potential risks of damaging/removing something critical to the system's operation far exceed any possible benefit!

By the way, I have not experienced another blue screen since the last one occurred almost 24 hours ago.

Thanks very much for the added info!

yep , removal of certain programs can be a royal PITA .

mcafee is not the only one that has this issue .

a little discussion about your problem :

https://community.mcafee.com/message/161685

a link to instructions and a removal tool :

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

about half way down the page is where things get interesting .

if these steps do not work ... so much for the easier , softer way .

at that point it will be time for a little more foot-work .

Guest spc3rd

Morning CWB!

I checked through the links you mentioned. Unfortunately, it's one of those "been there, done that" situations. Since it's now been roughly 48 hours since the last blue screen episode, I think I'll just "let things ride" as they are for the time being...and see if any further issues arise down the road.

Thanks very much for the continued follow-up info & have a safe Independence Day holiday!