A Question About Avira Anti-virus

Leila

I have the newest version of Avira. This morning I got a pop-up from Avira saying to download and install a feature called "Web Guard." I did so and after installation was instructed to re-boot. After reboot, I noted that the "umbrella" icon is closed. I went to "Status" and it says "Guard" is on but "Web Guard" is deactivated. I tried configuration and can't find a way to turn "Web Guard" to activate.

It concerns me that the little umbrella is closed, even though my status says Avira Anti-virus is on. My control panel also says it's on.

personally, their sneaky way of saying the ask.com toolbar is optional, but then confusing users with the way the update was pushed out, is beyond ridiculous. I will most likely switch to MSE or Avast. You can get the update and not install webguard and the toolbar, but you have to do the workaround in the thread i provided above. What a horrible idea this company has agreed to pursue. They are calling the closed umbrella in the icon tray a "glitch". HA!

PS. Here's my glitch Avira...i haven't uninstalled your software yet :P

Hi Leila. I have got Avira too, and just a moment ago got that toolbar popup as well. Had a look at the "Details Statement" and saw it was a "third party" application and immediately decided to give it the flick, although already knowing it was a toolbar created a suspicious attitude towards it straight away,as there is a lot of talk about toolbars in the excellent Forums on CNET and they have got a bad reputation. Also, there are a lot of programs that try and sneak toolbars into your Browser (ZoneAlarm is especially infamous for this, but ZoneAlarm is a ghastly program anyway and should be avoided like the plague)so any indication of "Toolbar" should be viewed with deep suspicion. You need to get rid of that toolbar. Avira are a good outfit and very communicative: if I was you, I would email them: info@avira.com

Their website is: http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

You will see top-right on their website "Contact". Tell them the problem you are having and I am sure they will help you resolve it. The MBAM guys will help you too when they see your post. Am sorry I cannot be more helpful but I am not a Geek and what you need is Geeks to explain to you what to do. All the best.

Hi prairie dog. I was not trying to "jump in". Earlier, when entering here to see what Leila was saying about Avira I did not see your posts, and even though I was sure you MBAM guys would be helping Leila soon, I decided to provide Leila in the meantime with what meagre help I was capable of providing! Am pretty horrified about all this toolbar stuff as the last outfit (besides MBAM, Ad-Aware, Mozilla, and all other Open-Source of course) I would have suspected of getting up to devious stunts is Avira! That "third party" thing seems to be the Kiss-Of-Death to all previously great programs - just look at what it did to ZoneAlarms!!!!