Malwarebytes only?

Mtown

Hello and :welcome:

Glad you got on board and purchased Malwarebytes. You will not regret buying such a wonderful product to help you keep your computer clean and free from infections....

That being said, No Malwarebytes is not an antivirus replacement. It is designed to work hand in hand with your installed antivirus software catching the things your antivirus software fails to catch. With the PRO version you are also protected from malicious websites with the Web Blocker Protection feature.

Thanks Firefox.

I wanted to leave MalBytes run in the background but it confilcted with my McAfee antivirus.

So, I have set it on a scheduled scan but not with the protection turned on.

Maybe I don't have something set right.

Thanks FireFox. That helps.

When I installed mbam i turned on the "protection" and it conflicted with McAfee.

So I just have it on a periodic scan schedule.

Maybe, I don't have something set right.

Hi Mtown,

Please try this:

Set Exclusions for McAfee in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on McAfee and click OK.
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on McAfee.com and click OK.
    Note: For 64 bit Windows versions this will be C:\Program Files (x86)
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in McAfee on 32 bit Windows Versions:

• Open McAfee and click on Navigation in the upper right hand corner.
  • Click on Firewall located under Features.
  • Click on Program Permissions and wait for the list to populate.
  • Click the Add button and then click browser.
  • Add the following files to the firewall with full access:
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click OK

[*]Close the McAfee main window and restart your computer.

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in McAfee on 64 bit Windows Versions:

• Open McAfee and click on Navigation in the upper right hand corner.
  • Click on Firewall located under Features.
  • Click on Program Permissions and wait for the list to populate.
  • Click the Add button and then click browser.
  • Add the following files to the firewall with full access:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click OK

[*]Close the McAfee main window and restart your computer.

Let me know if this helps. :)

That being said, No Malwarebytes is not an antivirus replacement. It is designed to work hand in hand with your installed antivirus software catching the things your antivirus software fails to catch. With the PRO version you are also protected from malicious websites with the Web Blocker Protection feature.

I've read that here before, but have some questions about it.

I think many of us have experienced what you wrote, that MBAM often catches malware that the AV programs don't.

Has anyone experienced the opposite though--an AV program finding and cleaning malware that MBAM does not find? Tha thas not happened to me yet.

Also, is a computer virus not a kind of malware? If MBAM helps protect from all types of malware--that includes viruses, no? Or are viruses excluded, leaving them to the AV apps?

If MBAM protects from all types of malware, including viruses, why is a separate AV program needed as well?

I've read that here before, but have some questions about it.

I think many of us have experienced what you wrote, that MBAM often catches malware that the AV programs don't.

Has anyone experienced the opposite though--an AV program finding and cleaning malware that MBAM does not find? Tha thas not happened to me yet.

Also, is a computer virus not a kind of malware? If MBAM helps protect from all types of malware--that includes viruses, no? Or are viruses excluded, leaving them to the AV apps?

If MBAM protects from all types of malware, including viruses, why is a separate AV program needed as well?

I've seen both. Normally it's the antivirus catching things.:)

A virus is a category of malware. Yes MBAM protects against all kinds of malware, but somewhat limited.

Malwarebytes does not function in the same way an antivirus works being the protection module. It's far slower(compatibility reasons) and I think it mostly checks files that are executed(correct me if wrong) and other files long after an av would have picked up(such as downloads and so on).