Toshiba s331Problems

Bobc11

I am assuming this is a laptop....

Pull the powercord

Pull the battery

Hold the on/off button for 15 seconds (to drain the caps)

Now only plug it in without the battery.

Try to turn it on see if you get it to POST.

It Just Makes a Click..CLICK CLICK

sound

& Powers off

Try and see if you can tell where the clicking sound is coming from, it could be the hard drive as stated in the post above.

Hd removed, Clicking stopped. No Post/BIOS. I have to press the pwr button like 3 times for it to power on. Then it just turns on for like 2 seconds then off.

Almost sounds like a heat issue. How old is this laptop? It's possible that the heat-sink isn't making good enough contact with the processor.

I literally just put on a new heat sink.

I literally just put on a new heat sink.

New info: After following Firefox's steps again, I plugged it back in then pressed the powerbutton, it turned orange then shutoff! Is that helpful?

It sounds like you do have a heat problem, as well as a possible bad motherboard on that laptop. The clicking on the hard drive could be one of two things...

1. The drive is also bad

2. It could be that the laptop did not have enough power going through it to power up the laptop, so you may still be able to recover data off that drive using something like This IDE to USB adaptor

It sounds like you do have a heat problem, as well as a possible bad motherboard on that laptop. The clicking on the hard drive could be one of two things...

1. The drive is also bad

2. It could be that the laptop did not have enough power going through it to power up the laptop, so you may still be able to recover data off that drive using something like This IDE to USB adaptor

The disk is totally fried, it was just another Workstation attached to my home domain, so it dosent have any important stuff on it. I just want to try to get it to post, but How can it be a heat problem if the computer is powered on cold?

I doubt it. You'll probably need to go to an electronics store. I'm not sure if someplace like Best Buy would have it or not. Around here we have Fry's Electronics. Worst case you can always buy it online.

fun. Is there anything other than that i can do?

At this point I don't think so. It looks like the main problem at this point is related to the heat-sink/CPU contact.

How does that force the computer to autoshutoff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thermal compound/paste is to assist the heatsink to draw heat away from the CPU, also if the thermal paste is not applied to the heatsink the CPU will overheat and will auto shutdown if the internal temperature exceeds a certain point.

Arctic Silver 5 compound is the one I always used and can be found at Radio Shack

Application Instructions