Memory Usage

I am a paid user, and bought the product, and have had the background MBAM running for years now.

When I started using background MBAM, it did not look like it was using much memory.

Today though (I always get the newest updates, of the app and signatures), right after Windows (XP SP3) startup, I looked in Task Manager and saw Mbamservice using about 91+ MB, and MBAMGUI using more than 13MB. Together well over 100MB.

That did not only happen today. Every time I have looked lately, the memory usage of background MBAM is very high like that.

The computer is on old one, that only has 750MB totak. (The max that can be installed.)

I really cannot afford such a major memory hit from MBAM, so changed it today not to start automatically with Windows.

Why does background MBAM use so much memory now?

You know.. The memory is there for being used. Maybe you don't know, but if you have 4gb memory on your pc, and a random program use 60mb of ram, but one day it changes to 400mb of ram, you won't notice a thing, because it's there for being used. But CPU is a different thing, that slows down your speed.

Anyway, if you already knew this, and you are saying this because you are low on memory, for sure.. it might be a problem for you. But nowadays, people have more than 2gb of ram, usually.

You know.. The memory is there for being used. Maybe you don't know, but if you have 4gb memory on your pc, and a random program use 60mb of ram, but one day it changes to 400mb of ram, you won't notice a thing, because it's there for being used. But CPU is a different thing, that slows down your speed.

Anyway, if you already knew this, and you are saying this because you are low on memory, for sure.. it might be a problem for you. But nowadays, people have more than 2gb of ram, usually.

I'm sorry, Esetish, but that reply is totally unhelpful. I did not ask for philosophizing how no one cares about memory usage any more.

I certainly do, or I would not have written the post.

I also explained how much memory I have on one computer that I have MBAM background running--750MB, and that is the most that computer (actually this one) will hold, an older laptop. Why do you talk about everyone having 4GB memory, when I specifically wrote that this computer has only 750MB?

I hope I get some replies that actually address the issue I brought up? Is background MBAM using much more memory now than it did a couple years ago? If so, why? Any way to reduce its memory usage?

Well the amount of memory used by MBAM does not sound to high for your PC. It varies from computer to computer depending on operating system and memory installed I suppose. Right now on the compute I am on Win7 32bit with 2GB Ram, mbamservice is using about 31,388K and the mbamgui is using 1316K. I also have an XP SP3 computer with 1GB ram and the mbamservice is running at 80,476K and the mbamgui is 2680K. As you can see it is higher than my Win7 computer.

Malwarebytes developers have to make changes to the Malwarebytes Program to keep up with the ever changing malware out there to be able to combat and do its best.

You may try checking to see if there are other services perhaps that you can disable that are really not needed.

Let me know should you need more help....

Well, I guess "using a lot of memory" is in the eyes of the beholder.

To me,a background program using 100MB of memory is far too much. And on a system with only 750MB of memory, that is a real big hit.

I would appreciate it if the people from MBAM would reply to this thread. Why does background MBAM use much more memory than it did a couple years ago?

Well the amount of memory used by MBAM does not sound to high for your PC. It varies from computer to computer depending on operating system and memory installed I suppose. Right now on the compute I am on Win7 32bit with 2GB Ram, mbamservice is using about 31,388K and the mbamgui is using 1316K. I also have an XP SP3 computer with 1GB ram and the mbamservice is running at 80,476K and the mbamgui is 2680K. As you can see it is higher than my Win7 computer.

Malwarebytes developers have to make changes to the Malwarebytes Program to keep up with the ever changing malware out there to be able to combat and do its best.

You may try checking to see if there are other services perhaps that you can disable that are really not needed.

Let me know should you need more help....

No comment from the software developers, to respond to the fact that background MBAM seems to use MUCH more memory now than it did a couple years ago.

If one has running the background all the time an AV software (usually quite bloated) and MBAM (used to be light, but now seems to be heavy in memory usage as well), that will take a very big hit from the system.

I woujld appreciate responses from the developers.

I'm not one of the developers, but I do know why the amount of memory being used has increased, it's because the size of the database has increased. Our team of researchers is constantly working on improving heuristics to detect more threats with fewer definitions (number of fingerprints), but for quite some time now the number of unique families/threats has been increasing very rapidly, so it requires a lot of definitions to keep up with them.