RegCure?

Nesbro

Hello, my friend downloaded a program called RegCure after being recommended to it on Yahoo Answers for a repeated problem she had, and I have reason to believe it is a rogue, because she said it detected a lot of errors. I looked up the site on WOT, and learned it was a scam, and then got her to download MBAM and quick scan, but nothing came up. Is this a real threat, or a simple broken down piece of software?

do a little recon ...

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/regcure-c4155.html

google "regclean scam" , "regclean complaints" and similar phrases .

go to legitimate sites that deal with comp stuff and have been for some time .

a yahoo answer group ? i don't think so ...

and yes , there are scamware versions of registry cleaner type programs out there .

do the/more foot-work (that's why you are asking here i suppose) , educate yourself and then make an informed decision/choice .

a warning about any registry modifying program ...

there is always the potential to damage or remove something that is needed , be cautious about what you do and use .

i do not suggest messin' with the registry for the uninitiated and/or faint of heart and will not debate the need/non-need for such programs ...

disclaimer : mind you , take heed of the prior warning i stated , if you have any doubts , do not read further .

from my own personal experience over many years and this is also my personal view/statement and not an endorsement in any way of a particular product ...

i have found two programs that actually did/do help out in this department and to date have not crashed a comp utilizing them :

ccleaner

little registry cleaner

both of these are *absolutely free* and full functioning ... no BS .

ccleaner is a combination program , it can get rid of junk files and other assorted stuff as well as perform registry cleanup . it is available from piriform .

little registry clean is a "straight guts" registry cleaner ... it actually will find entries that ccleaner does not find . it is available from sourceforge.net .

beware during searches for these products ... there are sound/look-alikes that nefarious scammers and purveyors of malware/scumware will hawk .

as with any program of this type , back up-back up-back up ...

did i mention back up ?

in the options for both programs you can tell it to prompt for a back up or automatically perform this function .

i do not like the back ups buried *somewhere* , so i create folders (labeled in capital letters) for these and they are "out front" on the "C" drive .

do a little recon ...

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/regcure-c4155.html

google "regclean scam" , "regclean complaints" and similar phrases .

go to legitimate sites that deal with comp stuff and have been for some time .

a yahoo answer group ? i don't think so ...

and yes , there are scamware versions of registry cleaner type programs out there .

do the/more foot-work (that's why you are asking here i suppose) , educate yourself and then make an informed decision/choice .

a warning about any registry modifying program ...

there is always the potential to damage or remove something that is needed , be cautious about what you do and use .

i do not suggest messin' with the registry for the uninitiated and/or faint of heart and will not debate the need/non-need for such programs ...

disclaimer : mind you , take heed of the prior warning i stated , if you have any doubts , do not read further .

from my own personal experience over many years and this is also my personal view/statement and not an endorsement in any way of a particular product ...

i have found two programs that actually did/do help out in this department and to date have not crashed a comp utilizing them :

ccleaner

little registry cleaner

both of these are *absolutely free* and full functioning ... no BS .

ccleaner is a combination program , it can get rid of junk files and other assorted stuff as well as perform registry cleanup . it is available from piriform .

little registry clean is a "straight guts" registry cleaner ... it actually will find entries that ccleaner does not find . it is available from sourceforge.net .

beware during searches for these products ... there are sound/look-alikes that nefarious scammers and purveyors of malware/scumware will hawk .

as with any program of this type , back up-back up-back up ...

did i mention back up ?

in the options for both programs you can tell it to prompt for a back up or automatically perform this function .

i do not like the back ups buried *somewhere* , so i create folders (labeled in capital letters) for these and they are "out front" on the "C" drive .

hi.

those two cleaners you have mentioned are the exact ones that i use and have never had any problems whatsoever with them.

As for regcure .it is like most registry cleaners out there a big scareware at the most.