Running AVAST! concurrently with MBAM Pro (both in real-time scanning): any problems with this?

Guest spc3rd

Guest spc3rd

Good evening everyone,

Some time ago, on this site, I noticed information posted by MBAM, I believe, to the effect that FREE AV softwares, such as, AVAST! were recommended over the PAID-subscription AV's on the market. As I have noted myself, and via comments by other users, my current AV software, McAfee, (provided free by my ISP), is most definitely a system resource hog and is no doubt slowing down my system.

My questions are these: (1) - Would installing AVAST be both an effective AV program, and possibly not utilize system resources as much as McAfee?

(2) - Can the AVAST program run concurrently with MBAM Pro [with both using real-time scanning] without creating major problems?

NOTE: I printed out a list of exclusion instructions applicable to using AVAST 6 (FREE) and MBAM from another place on this site.

Thank you for your time and any advice in this regard!

Good evening everyone,

Some time ago, on this site, I noticed information posted by MBAM, I believe, to the effect that FREE AV softwares, such as, AVAST! were recommended over the PAID-subscription AV's on the market. As I have noted myself, and via comments by other users, my current AV software, McAfee, (provided free by my ISP), is most definitely a system resource hog and is no doubt slowing down my system.

My questions are these: (1) - Would installing AVAST be both an effective AV program, and possibly not utilize system resources as much as McAfee?

(2) - Can the AVAST program run concurrently with MBAM Pro [with both using real-time scanning] without creating major problems?

NOTE: I printed out a list of exclusion instructions applicable to using AVAST 6 (FREE) and MBAM from another place on this site.

Thank you for your time and any advice in this regard!

I do not believe that the Malwarebytes company position is reflected in what you read on this forum about paid AV software and free AV software. The discussions here reflect the opinions of members and some staff.

Personally i would say that you would be fine to go with Avast and MBAM pro, i know a large number of people who go that route and are very happy.

Guest spc3rd

I appreciate the additional info, goldhound! I could not recall just WHERE in the forums here I came across the suggestions I mentioned. I also wanted to be at least...fairly confident that changing over from the ISP-provided major AV software to something free like Avast would be reasonably effective, but also run concurrently with the MBAM Pro I recently purchased (since both have real-time scanning).

After getting infected four times since January of this year by those fake anti-malware alerts...I definitely want to secure my system from such threats as best as possible!

Thanks very much again for your timely reply and help!

"ISP-provided major AV software"

hmmm ...

three things come to mind :

free

kickbacks

advertizing a product (and you are paying the isp to do it) .

there was a recent thread around here that mentioned something about (basically) "surfing/use habits" being a part of the problems that exist with users .

yes , education can , will and does help one to avoid infections .

In my opinion McAfee is one of the worst AV... and thats just from personal experience not things I've read. Avast is just one of many much better free AV's... personally though I used Windows Security Essentials because I found it to the be the least intrusive and uses the least amount of system resources... plus its free and from Microsoft so its much less likely to create any problems... but if anyone else has different opinions on it feel free to share... also because MBAM is not an AV program other than the exclusion things you listed there should be no problems with any of them.

In my opinion McAfee is one of the worst AV... and thats just from personal experience not things I've read.

The McAfee Consumer versions I would agree with you as far as resourse hoggers, but the Corporate Edition does a good job and uses less resourses (of course this is only my opionion as well and I do use the Corp Edition)...

personally though I used Windows Security Essentials because I found it to the be the least intrusive and uses the least amount of system resources... plus its free and from Microsoft so its much less likely to create any problems...

Only to avoid any confusion, the product is not Windows Security Essentials, its called Microsoft Security Essentials...

Guest spc3rd

Greetings supernovasky!

Your added information/recommendation is much appreciated! The unfortunate problem I seem to be encountering...in the past few hours...is I've gone through the uninstall procedure for removing the McAfee software, and trying to download and install the Microsoft Security Essentials so I could use it with the MBAM Pro's real-time scanning enabled...without success.

There still appears to be some hidden remnant(s) of the McAfee and/or a previous version of the original Microsoft's Live One Care I once subscribed to a couple of years back before they discontinued it. This is causing major problems in trying to install the MSE! I have no idea of what to do now. I'd really like to be rid of this resource-hogging McAfee AV that my ISP provides, but as I'm not a computer tech...I'm just banging my head against the computer in outright frustration at this point!

For once, I just wish some ingenious computer-literate person out there would come up with some straightforward, detailed, step-by-step, instructions on how to DEFINITIVELY ELIMINATE ALL REMNANTS OF MCAFEE and any prior versions of Microsoft Security Essentials security software so a simpleton like me could then download the MSE successfully! Or, come up with a way to connect remotely to my computer and remove all the remnants which are causing the problems!

Needless to say...right now I am more than just angered by this whole mess! It appears I am just going to be stuck permanently with this blasted McAfee, system-resource hog software for life! Sorry for my angel-laced tone, but it's just how I'm feeling!

Guest spc3rd

Your help and recommendations, are...as always, most appreciated & welcome Firefox!

As I briefly touched on in an earlier post...after spending a few hours going back and forth trying to rid my system of ANY remnants of the McAfee software (provided by my ISP, by the way)...I'm flat out exhausted and just plain angered beyond belief!

WHen I went through the initial uninstall mentioned in an earlier post, (and it did not seem to work as it should), I ended up having to just go and re-install the McAfee all over again...just so I would not be without ANY AV protection. In that interim time where I was without AV protection, the MBAM flash scan I ran picked up two infections! Just what I need!

I'd better just stop now. I'm so angry I can't think straight at this point.

Guest spc3rd

Hi Conor55,

I'm not certain, but I believe they were. I just deleted them from the Quarantine area without giving them a second look. Am just to pissed off at the moment to give a hoot about anything...sorry.

There still appears to be some hidden remnant(s) of the McAfee

Hi, spc3rd:

I have found that one needs to run the MCPR tool at least twice, rebooting each time, in order to clean all McAfee remnants.

You may need to run it once in Safe Mode, too.

You may also need to go in and manually delete remnant McAfee folders, even if they are empty.

Make sure you are running the current version of the MCPR tool: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

And it ONLY works for CONSUMER products -- if you are running Enterprise versions of McAfee products, it's a different tool and procedure.

As a last resort, I would use CCcleaner (or RevoUninstaller) to clean what's left -- BUT BUT BUT BUT I would be VERY careful about the registry-cleaning component of either of these. They can cause more harm than good....

I would double check with the folks at the McAfee forums, because this issue comes up there from time to time over there.

HTH,

daledoc1

Guest spc3rd

Hi again daledoc1!

I followed all the instructions in your post; e.g., removing McAfee from the Add/Remove Programs list in the Control Panel, running the MCPR tool, and (hopefully) deleting all the McAfee folders I could find. I'll need to re-check to be absolutely certain, but I believe...for some odd reason...I was unable to remove the McAfee Virtual Technician from the "Add/Remove Programs List in the Control Panel!!??

I have now downloaded the FREE Avast, Antivirus version, and made the recommended settings & exclusions in BOTH the Avast program AND my Malwarebytes Pro, in accordance with the info I received here. I trust this will be sufficient for me to be able to re-enable the real-time scanning of the MBAM Pro now, without any conflicts arising with Avast running concurrently, (like there were with the McAfee)!!??

Hopefully this Avast will also result in better system performance and not be the system resource hog that McAfee was. I do have one other question though: I noticed the Avast I downloaded expires in 30 days, and they are also advertising a significant discount for a person to upgrade to their Pro or Internet Security versions. Any thoughts or cautionary comments on those?

Thanks very much again for the help, and to other community members who've responded!

i agree with the resource hog bit .

i have seen the same problems with the complete removal of mcafee ... plain and simple ; a bugger to remove all of the "bits-n-pieces" .

i use revo uninstaller pro in the advanced mode to remove any of the components that show up on the revo "installed programs" listing . i have had limited luck with the "hunter" mode .

note that if you have already done an "uninstall" from the windows add/remove programs or the uninstaller that comes with mcafee the leftovers may not show up .

also , after revo has run the uninstaller for mcafee you may be prompted by that uninstaller to reboot ... don't do it , let revo finish it's advanced mode sequence .

when uninstalling you may have been prompted with "do you want to remove all the items in the virus vault and delete your personal preferences ?" (or words to this effect) , answering with anything but "hell yes" will leave these items behind .

as was mentioned , using a registry/file clean up program will help out after the initial uninstall and a couple of reboots .

after a reboot , go have a cup of coffee , let the windows maintenance software do the black magic shuffle .

oh yeah , it helps to turn off all unnecessary programs , quick starters and so-forth before starting in on a removal project .

be cautious about messin' with the registry , always make a back up before deletion .

Guest spc3rd

Greetings CWB!

I appreciate the added info you've provided...with the colorful metaphors included! May take me a little time to "digest" everything.

I did get a response back from McAfee's tech support staff which I'm still reviewing, as it seems a bit contradictory. (E.g. they're saying I should re-install the MVT, which frankly doesn't make much sense, since I'm looking to GET RID OF IT from the Add/Remove Programs listing!

On a slightly different note, thus far...this FREE Avast! AV software seems to be running well concurrently with the MBAM Pro I have. MBAM does periodically open the "balloon" to indicate it's blocking an incoming IP address, whereas, back when I still had McAfee running...the MBAM balloon would state it was blocking an OUTGOING IP address!

Thanks very much again for your help and info! :)

Archived