MBAM doesn't create right-click context menu

Hi,

I didn't see my issue in the FAQ so decide to go ahead and create this topic.

-

MBAM doesn't create right-click context menu even though the option is select in settings.

I've tried the following solution process:

Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware via Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel

Restart computer

Download and run mbam-clean.exe utility

Restart computer

Download and install latest version

Hello and welcome:

I seem to recall this issue popping up for an occasional user from time to time, but not recently.

I am pretty sure, IIRC, that the explanation has usually been tracked to something outside MBAM, such as a Windows issue or a conflicting software problem.

Are you sure that you have the option checked?

Open MBAM GUI > settings > general settings > create right click context menu ???

Also, you don't mention what your OS is and other system details, such as your AV and firewall, etc.

You might have a look here, especially at post #9, and here and here.

So, I would first try simply unchecking the option, closing the MBAM GUI, reopening it, and then re-checking the option -- this is certainly an easy fix, if it works.

I understand that you've reinstalled mbam, but if you have not followed the recommended steps, then it might be worth trying one more time, as follows:

MBAM Clean Re-installation Instructions:

NOTE: You need to be logged in as an administrator.

1. Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here.

Note:It will ask to restart your computer; please allow it to do so -- very important!

2. After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus (AV) and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here. (Note: Ignore any promos or ads for other software/products at the mirror sites; and there is no fee to download MBAM Free.)

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email, if you are using the PRO version.

3. Launch MBAM (and set the Protection and Registration, if you are using the PRO version).

4. Go to the UPDATE tab, if not done during installation, and check for updates.

5. Restart the computer again (and, if you are using the PRO version, verify that the MBAM icon is in the system tray).

6. Set up any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQs here, or ask and we'll explain how to do it. (Specific steps depend on the AntiVirus software vendor & version, and on your computer's OS).

7. Restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

8. Add the program folder(s) for your AV and FW to MBAM's "Ignore List".(Let us know if you need help with this.)

9. Set up your scheduled updates & scheduled scans (this only applies to the PRO version). Scheduler help is available here.

10. Run an MBAM Quick Scan.

Please let us know if any of this helps,

daledoc1

Some of the solutions posted Right HERE in this thread by yardbird and exile360 may help you....

Indeed!

I *knew* there was at least one more thread about this somewhere, but I couldn't locate it. :)

Thank you, firefox.

So, please first check the one firefox mentions, as it contains the most concrete solutions; you may also find something in the other 3 threads for which I provided the links.

Let us know if any of this works....

Regards,

daledoc1

Thanks for the responses. Sorry about the late reply; I fell asleep. >.>

@Firefox

- I followed the directions (several times) in the link provided, however, they did not solve the issue.

@daledoc1

- The option is indeed checked. Additionally, I unchecked the option, closed MBAM, opened MBAM then rechecked the option - It didn't work

- OS: Windows XP 32-bit,Media Center Edition,Service Pack 3

- Real Time Protection: Avast Free 6.0.1125

- Software Firewall: Zone Alarm Free 9.2.106.000

- The first link doesn't work; the second and third links provide the same solution as the link provided by Firefox

-

Side Note: In one of the links provided, someone mentioned to run an autoruns scan. I did so and there is no entry for MBAM in autoruns. Something tells me there should be.

Hi, again, WangYuanJi:

Well, that's a bummer. Sorry the suggestions haven't worked.

The first link doesn't work;

Sorry about that. Try this:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=84565 (see post #9 re: Powerdesk program conflict).

Side Note: In one of the links provided, someone mentioned to run an autoruns scan. I did so and there is no entry for MBAM in autoruns. Something tells me there should be.

Yes, I would guess there should be.

But, I'm not sure, so we will need to wait for more expert advice.

Aside from making sure you are logged in to the computer with administrator privileges and trying a clean reinstall of MBAM, I'm afraid I don't know what else to suggest.

If you do reinstall, please be sure to follow the recommended steps in my original reply, including setting all the necessary permissions/exclusions to allow MBAM, Avast and ZA to work together.

FWIW, the instructions for Avast (for step #6 in the MBAM install process in my earlier post) are:

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Avast! Antivirus 6 (Free, Pro and Internet Security):

• Open Avast! antivirus and click on REAL-TIME SHIELDS on the left
  • Click on File System Shield on the left and click on Expert Settings
  • Click the Exclusions section
  • Click on Browse next to the blank entry at the bottom of the list (this will be the only entry if no other exclusions have been set yet)
  • In the Select the areas window click on the + next to C:
  • Click the + next to Program Files Note: For 64 bit Windows versions this will be Program Files (x86)
  • Click the box next to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on OK
  • Click OK again
  • Click on Web Shield on the left and click Expert Settings
  • Click on Exclusions and check the box next to URLs to exclude:
  • Type or copy/paste the following address:
    *.mbamupdates.com
  • Click on OK
    Also, for Avast! Internet Security:
  • Click on Behavior Shield on the left and click Expert Settings
  • Click on Trusted Processes
  • Click on Browse next to the blank entry at the bottom of the list (this will be the only entry if no other exclusions have been set yet)
  • Navigate to C:Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click once on mbam.exe and click Open Note: For 64 bit Windows versions this will be Program Files (x86)
  • Do the same for the following files:
    • mbamgui.exe
    • mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on OK

[*]Close Avast! antivirus

Set Exclusions for Avast! Antivirus Free, Pro and Internet Security in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click on the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on avast software and click on OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Perhaps post back with the autoruns logs in your next reply, as suggested here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=69078&view=findpost&p=356036

Let's see what the more expert folks have to say.

Thanks for your patience,

daledoc1

Greetings :)

Please do the following: Note: We are only temporarily disabling these, we will re-enable these again when we're done.

Disable Autostart Entries Using Autoruns:

Please open Autoruns.exe again and allow it to perform its scan. Once it finishes please proceed with the following:

• Click on the Logon tab and click the checkbox on the left side of each of the following so that they are unchecked:
    • Under C:\Documents and Settings\Dale Burket\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp:
      • ERUNT AutoBackup.lnk

[*]Under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run:

• SandboxieControl

[*]Once that is complete, restart your computer.

Now open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Settings tab and uncheck and then re-check Create right click context menu. and then restart you computer.

If you now see the context menu for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware when you right click on a file or folder, then the issue has been corrected and you can re-check the two items in Autoruns that I had you uncheck above and restart your computer and the context menu entry should still be there.

Please let me know how it goes.

OK, open Autoruns and re-enable the 2 items I had you disable previously if you haven't done so already, and then do the following:

Create a Batch File:

• Please copy and paste the following text exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @color 48 
    @echo off
    if exist "%programfiles(x86)%" reg query "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" /v "InstallPath">>"%userprofile%\desktop\ContextCheck.txt" 2>&1
    if not exist "%programfiles(x86)%" reg query "HKLM\Software\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" /v "InstallPath">>"%userprofile%\desktop\ContextCheck.txt" 2>&1
    reg query "HKCR\CLSID\{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}" /s>>"%userprofile%\desktop\ContextCheck.txt" 2>&1
    reg query "HKLM\Software\Classes\Folder\Shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\MBAMShlExt" /s>>"%userprofile%\desktop\ContextCheck.txt" 2>&1
    reg query "HKLM\Software\Classes\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\MBAMShlExt" /s>>"%userprofile%\desktop\ContextCheck.txt" 2>&1
    "%userprofile%\desktop\ContextCheck.txt"
    del /f /q %0

Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...

• In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file Check.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.
  • Once it finishes it will open the file it created in notepad, please copy and paste the file's contents into your next reply.

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

InstallPath REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Error: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value

OK, that's what I expected, I just wanted to be sure. Please do the following:

Create a Reg File:

• Please copy and paste the following text exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00  

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}]
    @="MBAMShlExt Class"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}\InprocServer32]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\\mbamext.dll"
    "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}\ProgID]
    @="MBAMExt.MBAMShlExt.1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}\TypeLib]
    @="{AFF1A83B-6C83-4342-8E68-1648DE06CB65}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}\VersionIndependentProgID]
    @="MBAMExt.MBAMShlExt"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\MBAMShlExt]
    @="{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\MBAMShlExt]
    @="{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}"

Press Enter twice on your keyboard to insert 2 blank lines at the bottom of the text file

• Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...
  • In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file ContextFix.reg (the .reg extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it and click Yes or OK to any prompts.

Once that is done, do this again and post back the results:

Create a Batch File:

@color 48 
    @echo off
    if exist "%programfiles(x86)%" reg query "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" /v "InstallPath">>"%userprofile%\desktop\ContextCheck.txt" 2>&1
    if not exist "%programfiles(x86)%" reg query "HKLM\Software\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" /v "InstallPath">>"%userprofile%\desktop\ContextCheck.txt" 2>&1
    reg query "HKCR\CLSID\{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}" /s>>"%userprofile%\desktop\ContextCheck.txt" 2>&1
    reg query "HKLM\Software\Classes\Folder\Shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\MBAMShlExt" /s>>"%userprofile%\desktop\ContextCheck.txt" 2>&1
    reg query "HKLM\Software\Classes\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\MBAMShlExt" /s>>"%userprofile%\desktop\ContextCheck.txt" 2>&1
    "%userprofile%\desktop\ContextCheck.txt"
    del /f /q %0

Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...

• Name the file ContextCheck.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.
  • Once it finishes it will open the file it created in notepad, please copy and paste the file's contents into your next reply.

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

InstallPath REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}

<NO NAME> REG_SZ MBAMShlExt Class

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}\InprocServer32

<NO NAME> REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll

ThreadingModel REG_SZ Apartment

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}\ProgID

<NO NAME> REG_SZ MBAMExt.MBAMShlExt.1

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}\TypeLib

<NO NAME> REG_SZ {AFF1A83B-6C83-4342-8E68-1648DE06CB65}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}\VersionIndependentProgID

<NO NAME> REG_SZ MBAMExt.MBAMShlExt

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Folder\Shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\MBAMShlExt

<NO NAME> REG_SZ {57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\MBAMShlExt

<NO NAME> REG_SZ {57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}