XP Security Malware stopping me from logging in

Hello everyone

I'm running Windows XP on a Dell PC.

Yesterday I returned to my desk to find Windows XP Security center messages all over the screen.

I have seen this malware before on a friend's PC, so I instantly recognized it. The malware had managed to kill Windows Explorer and the desktop so all I could see was my browser window (Firefox). I turned the PC off.

When I booted up again (in safe mode) I found I could not log in.

I get the list of Users, but whichever one I choose, I click on it, enter the password, Windows says something like "Loading Users Settings" then I get a BSOD.

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8660Fb09, 0xF76B6B38, 0X00000000)

I have my Dell recovery CD so have run a repair of Windows XP. It made no difference.

I have launched a Recovery Console and run a chkdsk /r - no difference.

Any suggestions what I could try that would allow me to login, so I can run malwarebytes?

Cheers,

Dave.

• Staff

Hi and welcome to Malwarebytes.

Download DDS by sUBs and save it to your Desktop.

Double-click on the DDS icon and let the scan run. When it has run two logs will be produced, please post DDS.txt directly into your reply.

After you post that, do the following:

• Download the file TDSSKiller.zip and extract it into a folder on the infected PC.
  • Execute the file TDSSKiller.exe by double-clicking on it.
  • Wait for the scan and disinfection process to be over.
  • When its work is over, the utility prompts for a reboot to complete the disinfection.

By default, the utility outputs runtime log into the system disk root directory (the disk where the operating system is installed, C:\ as a rule).

The log is like UtilityName.Version_Date_Time_log.txt.

for example, C:\TDSSKiller.2.2.0_20.12.2009_15.31.43_log.txt.

Please post that log here.

Hi and welcome to Malwarebytes.

Download DDS by sUBs and save it to your Desktop.

Double-click on the DDS icon and let the scan run. When it has run two logs will be produced, please post DDS.txt directly into your reply.

After you post that, do the following:

• Download the file TDSSKiller.zip and extract it into a folder on the infected PC.
  • Execute the file TDSSKiller.exe by double-clicking on it.
  • Wait for the scan and disinfection process to be over.
  • When its work is over, the utility prompts for a reboot to complete the disinfection.

By default, the utility outputs runtime log into the system disk root directory (the disk where the operating system is installed, C:\ as a rule).

The log is like UtilityName.Version_Date_Time_log.txt.

for example, C:\TDSSKiller.2.2.0_20.12.2009_15.31.43_log.txt.

Please post that log here.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to me.

However, I can't login as I explained in my original post, so I am unable to do this.

If I have no way to recover my windows install, perhaps someone could suggest a way of recovering my data? Could anyone suggest a boot CD I could make that would allow me to access my data?

• Staff

Hi,

First let's see if we can get you logging in;

These are links to Anti-virus vendors that offer free LiveCD or Rescue CD files that are used to boot from for repair of unbootable and damaged systems, rescue data, scan the system for virus infections. Burn it as an image to a disk to get a bootable CD. All (except Avira) are in the ISO Image file format. Avira uses an EXE that has built-in CD burning capability.

If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO. If you need a FREE utility to burn the ISO image, download and use ImgBurn.

Let me know how it goes.

Try Kaspersky first.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!