malware fails on start up

Hi

Sorry but this question has probably been asked befor, but I can not find a link in the forum.

Malware has been loaded ok and registered. Protection panel goes green...fine.

I restart the computer and get error code 1068. Malware does not start up.

On manual start, the protection panel comes up red and cannot be reset.

I have tried reinstalling Malware and even after running the clean function, I have manually gone through the Registry and removed all identifiable Malware entries (using *mba*) as the search.

Reinstalled Malware, registered and the same thing happens on reboot.

This problem occurred after removing fake 'WindowsXP Recovery' program.

Tom Mercado helped with that on ticket #154242

Any suggestion please would be welcome.

Hi, MikeReynolds:

Sorry you're having trouble with MBAM.

I understand that you have reinstalled the program several times.

And I understand that you recently had your system cleaned of malware with the assistance of TeMerc.

Error code 1068 is a Windows code saying that the service failed to start (something you obviously figured out ;) ).

This could be the result of malware traces, a new infection, or some non-malware-related problem (e.g. blocking by an AV or firewall).

Couple of questions until an expert/mod arrives:

1. Did you follow the instructions to CLEAN install MBAM by first running the mbam-clean tool, or did you just uninstall from the Windows control panel?
  2. What is your AV and firewall (name, version, etc)?
  3. Have you followed the procedures for setting the proper exclusions & permissions for MBAM in your AV and firewall?
  4. Does any other behavior on the computer suggest the possibility that you might be infected still or again?

Please post back with this info and we'll go from there with more specific advice.

Thanks!

daledoc1

PS Assuming you don't end up back at the malware removal forum, you'll probably want to send a Private Message to one of the moderators asking to move this thread to the General MBAM forum here, since this topic does relate directly to installing/running MBAM. There is much higher traffic from the experts there, as well. ;)

Hi, MikeReynolds:

Sorry you're having trouble with MBAM.

I understand that you have reinstalled the program several times.

And I understand that you recently had your system cleaned of malware with the assistance of TeMerc.

Error code 1068 is a Windows code saying that the service failed to start (something you obviously figured out ;) ).

This could be the result of malware traces, a new infection, or some non-malware-related problem (e.g. blocking by an AV or firewall).

Couple of questions until an expert/mod arrives:

1. Did you follow the instructions to CLEAN install MBAM by first running the mbam-clean tool, or did you just uninstall from the Windows control panel?
  2. What is your AV and firewall (name, version, etc)?
  3. Have you followed the procedures for setting the proper exclusions & permissions for MBAM in your AV and firewall?
  4. Does any other behavior on the computer suggest the possibility that you might be infected still or again?

Please post back with this info and we'll go from there with more specific advice.

Thanks!

daledoc1

PS Assuming you don't end up back at the malware removal forum, you'll probably want to send a Private Message to one of the moderators asking to move this thread to the General MBAM forum here, since this topic does relate directly to installing/running MBAM. There is much higher traffic from the experts there, as well. ;)

Hi Daledoc1

Yes I have used the mbam cleaner and tried reinstall before restart up and after restart. I don't run a proprietry firewall at the moment, just the windows on board one. On reinstall the protection panel will go green when clicked but this setting is not retained through next start up.

Even after running mbam cleaner, I checked through the registry and found quite a few incidences of *mba* many easily identified as linked to the malware program. These I removed then reinstalled malwarebytes. Had to re register and the protection turned on ok. But malwarebytes still failed to restart on startup.

Another glitch is that the update reminder does not work (I have it set for every two days).

The prog works fine on my laptop. Odd, but I have noticed with other progs they work fine on one but not the other.

Picked up scam XP Security 2012 Firewall Alert on Sunday. This locked out nearly all the programs that could be used to clean it. Managed to run Restore and the fake has dissapeared. Have run Malwarebytes but It has not identified or isolated the virus. Now running a full scan having reinstalled Malwarebytes (protection still red).

As suggested I have copied my original request to a moderator.

Best regards

Mike

Hi, Mike:

OK, this is getting a bit confusing... :(

In addition to sending a PM to a mod, you have also opened a duplicate thread in the General forum?

Does any other behavior on the computer suggest the possibility that you might be infected still or again?

PS Assuming you don't end up back at the malware removal forum...

And now it seems that you are still infected or reinfected?

Picked up scam XP Security 2012 Firewall Alert on Sunday. This locked out nearly all the programs that could be used to clean it. Managed to run Restore and the fake has dissapeared. Have run Malwarebytes but It has not identified or isolated the virus. Now running a full scan having reinstalled Malwarebytes (protection still red).

Let's go back to the beginning and start all over....

Please refer to this post here, in your other thread:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=88231&view=findpost&p=446173

It contains advice on how to proceed with cleaning your system, either at the malware removal forum, OR re-opening your support ticket.

Until a moderator arrives or until you hear back from TeMerc, let's continue our conversation in your other thread for now, rather than working both of them, OK?

Thanks!

daledoc1