Why did Malwarebytes new version Change

With the latest version of Malwarebytes, it comes with a built in database of 6705.

I have 3 copies of Malwarebytes registered here and in the past if I am working on a customers computer, I will use my main computer, update to latest Database then copy it to the computer I am working

on in the All User application dir.

This way on my initial scan in safe mode, I can clean the computer, then boot and do an update if a later one is available.

I then recommend that the customer purchase Malwarebytes.

For some unknown reason the Malwarebytes folks locked the database to 6705.

I can copy the new latest one over and over write the 6705 and when i run Malwarebytes, its still 6705.

MALWAREBYTES FOLKS... Are you listening.

thanks

Bill

Hello Benglish,

When you manually move the rules.ref the main scanner will not reflect it. MBAM will use the moved rules.ref when using the scanner. The GUI updates once you run an update within MBAM.

Thank you.

Hello Benglish,

When you manually move the rules.ref the main scanner will not reflect it. MBAM will use the moved rules.ref when using the scanner. The GUI updates once you run an update within MBAM.

Thank you.

Thanks, Prior to the latest version, it did detect it and showed the new database.

Latest version does not.

Are you sure that when I scan it is actually using the new update rules.ref or the old 6705?

I always do this in safe mode then boot to regular mode and update at that time.

Thanks for your info

Bill

• Staff

Yes we are sure it uses the current file in allusers. Whatever version you copy over. Only exception is if the Protection module may be running and you do copy over the old one may still be in memory till you restart Mbam or the computer.

One thing though. You do realize that safe mode should only be used if malwarebytes wont run in normal mode. We will remove more things in normal mode than safe mode do to our engine. It will also scan much quicker in normal mode.

Thanks for the Info

I did not realize that it scanned better in Normal vice safe mode.

I just know that with my experience over the last 15 or so years with Trojan and Virus, that most will not let you run any removing programs in normal.

However many of the Trojan/virus of today will not fully run in safe mode, therefore they do not block MWB from running.

I always use all my removing programs in safe mode first after I have manually removed the main Trojan/virus from the system and profiles.

Then I boot to normal and update MWB

Again thanks for info

Bill

• Staff

Well i would try first in normal mode. You will get more complete removal that way and better results plus scanning speed. If safe mode has to be used because it wont run then a full scan would be recommended.

Safe mode use to be the norm for most apps for malware removal years ago. Do to mbam's driver technology, the driver will not run when you run it in safe mode. This limits our effectiveness somewhat. Plus mbam looks for malware in memory. If its not in memory in safe mode than a full scan must be run to find it sometimes.

Cheers