Zero Byte Data Files

• 3 weeks later...

Mainerd:

Thanks for the reply. There are NO other signs of infection that I have seen. It has only happened on my Laptop with Windows 7 Pro 64. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Does this sound like a Virus or Malware? Is there any utility to recover any of the zero byte data files? Waiting to hear from you. Thanks again.

Recuva is an excellent tool for restoring deleted files on Windows, however, I don't know if it can recover 0-byte files.

Furthermore, have you tried running a disk check? Go to My Computer, right-click on the drive in question, select Properties, go to Tools and under "Error checking", click "Check now..."

Hello rsicard,

Let's try the windows error checking. CHKDSK will run, it will take a while please bear with the time.

1. Please Open My computer
  2. Right click on Local Disk (C:)
  3. In (C:) Properties Click the Tools Tab
  4. Under Error-Checking click Check Now
  5. Please ensure both options: 'Automatically fix file system errors' and 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'
  6. Then click Start
  7. A new prompt will pop up: Click 'Schedule disk check'
  8. Then restart your system

Please let me know the results of this test. It may also require a couple of runs as well.

Thank you very much!

Mainard:

Thanks for your directions. Performed as you instructed and got 66 reparsed records whatever that means. Looked up reparsing and found the following http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/ntfs/filesReparse-c.html. I suspect that either a malware, virus or glitch in Microsoft NTFS in Windows 7 Professional has something to do with this situation. Not certain which of the three caused the data files to be zeroed.

Really getting frustrated with Windows 7 and Microsoft. Just had enough. Looking at going to Linux with much more openness to it. Looking at which Distro has the best customer support, best GUI front end and best peripheral support.

Hello rsicard,

I hope chkdsk fixed the issues you experienced.

I am glad we were able to get to the bottom of the issue.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.

Mainard:

Chkdsk did absolutely nothing for the problem that I have. All of the data files forced to zero byte size still REMAIN. Doing a search on this situation yields absolutely NOTHING. I believe that this situation is not that UNIQUE. Windows is such a closed and proprietary system that very few know how to fix the type situation that I have.

Any further suggestions? Is there a utility to view these zero byte data files on the hard disk to assure that they are REALLY ZERO BYTES??

Mainard:

This forcing of data files to zero bytes is a very sophisticated virus, malware or product of Windows 7 Pro. It almost seems as it is nearer the latter wherein the person causing this is in the inner circle of Windows Developers or is a VERY SMART programmer familiar with the inner workings of Windows 7. Any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Rolland Sicard

Hello rsicard,

With hard disk errors/failures there is not much left to do other than reformat and ensure you have proper backup data storage implemented when saving important data.

Either of the causes I understand the frustrations. Choosing a different OS is one response to this. Either way please let me know the course you choose.

I apologize Rolland for not being of much more help in this instance. When storing data ensure you have automatic backups in place and when you notice a hard drive failure get it replaced/repaired immediately.

Thank you.

• 1 year later...

I have this problem to, it happens yesterday.

I try to run:

-DataRecovery

-Restoration

-Glary Undelete

-MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (no malwares found)

-Unhide

-HardDisk Sentinel (It says Health 60%, but says Good when i run to see badsectors)

-Disk Check from properties of the disk (Says everything fine)

-Piriform Recuva

The program Recuva detect the last size of the files, but when i click in recover, the file i recove is 0 bytes.

The image of program: http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/5111/recuvad.jpg

The last program i install is this: http://www.sendspace.com/file/dkysf4 , i dont know if is coincidence but my files come to 0 bytes after that. When i realized of it i shut done the pc. Programs like word, photoshop and other are with 0 bytes and dont run.

After i turn on the pc again i can install programs and every files i download now are fine, but all my data is gone. The files stays in folders but with no bytes. See this image: http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/6207/dsico1.jpg

I'm desesperate, I have no backup of my files since 1 month ago.

Anyone can help me?

Hi, bl0w:

Welcome. :)

This is a pretty old topic.

The mods may wish to split off yout post to a new thread. :)

In order to assist them, for starters, please follow the steps below to run the DDS scanner.

Then, please reply back here in this topic with both logs attached to your reply.

The MBAM staff will review them and assist you further.

Thanks!

daledoc1

----------------------

DDS Instructions

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save it to your Desktop:

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once it is downloaded, you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool, on Vista or Win 7 right click and select Run as administrator

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt
    2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please attach both of the following logs to your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

• Root Admin

You cannot do a data recovery for 0 byte files except manual hex edit of the disk. The file was not deleted so the only way to recover would be to somehow have a copy of the MFT before the zero bytes or manually locate the real start and end points of files which is not an easy task for most people. Basically unless you have a backup of your data for intensive purposes you've lost it.

We can help with infection removals but there is nothing that can be done in an automated fashion (that I'm aware of or have ever heard of) to restore them.

• 2 weeks later...