Laptop has almost ground to a halt

• Staff

Hello romeohotel, and welcome to the forum. Have you noticed any symptoms besides the slowness, like pop ups or strange programs running that you don't recall installing? Also, have you made any hardware or software changes recently? And finally, if you don't have any of the pop ups or strange programs, do you have any reason to believe this may be an infection? Please let me know and we'll decide where to go next. Thank you.

Please run StartUpLite (free), and it will tell you what startup items are not needed, and allow you to easily stop them from wasting your resources.

You may also need to run a defragment. If files become fragmented across your hard drive, then it take longer to load them.

If you think you may have a malware infection, and you have not already done so, then you can install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, and it will scan for a remove malicious items free of charge.

Hello, I am sure this request for help has been asked many times, but my laptop has suddenly developed a go slow.

Switching between windows takes ages and if I reboot that takes for ever.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello and thanks for reply - not only am I on a go slow I could not connect to the internet over the last two days, but ok at the moment.

I have not noticed any other symtoms other than the go slow. When I click on a link or try to change programs I get "not responding" as in IE - not responding. After a while the window opens sometimes it takes longer than usual.

I have Malwarebytes installed as well as Spybot -search and destroy, Spyware Blaster, and AdAware. All give me a clean bill of health.

• Staff

Hello again. I'm not sure of the cause yet and need a bit more info.

First off, what antivirus software do you have installed (all I saw listed were antispyware softwares)?

Second, please download Microsoft Sysinternals Autoruns from here: http://live.sysinternals.com/autoruns.exe

Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it (if running Vista, save to your desktop, then right click the file and select "Run as administrator" then click Continue or Allow at the UAC prompt)

Next, press the Esc key on your keyboard to halt the scan and click the Options button at the top. Select Hid Microsoft and Windows Entries as well as Verify Code Signatures from that menu.

Then press the F5 key on your keyboard and the scan will start again, let it run until it says Ready in the lower left portion of the window. Once the scan completes, click the File menu and select Save. Save the file as Autoruns.arn (this is the default setting) and then zip the file with the Windows zip utility or Winrar if you have it installed. Attach the zipped file to your next post and I'll see if there's anything loading at boot that you can get rid of to speed things up without doing any harm.

Hello again. I'm not sure of the cause yet and need a bit more info.

First off, what antivirus software do you have installed (all I saw listed were antispyware softwares)?

Second, please download Microsoft Sysinternals Autoruns from here: http://live.sysinternals.com/autoruns.exe

Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it (if running Vista, save to your desktop, then right click the file and select "Run as administrator" then click Continue or Allow at the UAC prompt)

Next, press the Esc key on your keyboard to halt the scan and click the Options button at the top. Select Hid Microsoft and Windows Entries as well as Verify Code Signatures from that menu.

Then press the F5 key on your keyboard and the scan will start again, let it run until it says Ready in the lower left portion of the window. Once the scan completes, click the File menu and select Save. Save the file as Autoruns.arn (this is the default setting) and then zip the file with the Windows zip utility or Winrar if you have it installed. Attach the zipped file to your next post and I'll see if there's anything loading at boot that you can get rid of to speed things up without doing any harm.

Hello, thanks for reply.

I have Avast as my anti virus program and also I presume Windows defender - I am running Vista Home Premium.

have followed your details for the autoruns and I am attaching the file. I hope it works ok.

Sorry I have clicked on Attachments, but nothing happens I cannot send the file, although Attachment system ready is showing.

Hello, thanks for reply.

I have Avast as my anti virus program and also I presume Windows defender - I am running Vista Home Premium.

have followed your details for the autoruns and I am attaching the file. I hope it works ok.

Sorry I have clicked on Attachments, but nothing happens I cannot send the file, although Attachment system ready is showing.

Can you copy and paste the contents of the log file into a reply?