Windows Home Security 2012 fake application?

I found the Windows Home Security 2012 application on my laptop; popups appeared stating that the computer is infected (A scan was the first thing to pop up when booting the laptop).

I did some research on this and learned that it's a fake security application, and I'd need to download Malwarebytes and tdsskiller to clear it.

I downloaded the applications in safe mode and ran a few scans; although nothing appeared with the tdsskiller, Malwarebytes found several infected registry keys and infected files.

All items have been quarantined and deleted.

The popups/scans have stopped, but it won't allow me to open applications. It asks me what program I want to use to open the file.(exe) In some cases it says that the applications haven't been found (eg. all of the options in the control panel). It won't even allow me to open the regedit?

I have been running scans with Malwarebytes, and it picks something up everytime. In the first scan, it picked up 6/7 items, and everytime I scan now, it picks up at least 2 items.

In the last scan I found:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} (Adware.MyWebSearch)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command\(default) (Hijack.ExeFile) ---- This one I have seen more than once.

What does this mean?

Is there any way I can clear everything out properly??

I hope someone can help me. :)

Kind regards,

Chazy91

Hi and :welcome:

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:

• Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.

[*]Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.

[*]A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.

[*]Notepad will open with the results.

[*]Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.

[*]Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.

Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!