Was infected, and now I can't open any programs?

I found the Windows Home Security 2012 application on my laptop; popups appeared stating that the computer is infected (A scan was the first thing to pop up when booting the laptop).

I did some research on this and learned that it's a fake security application, and I'd need to download Malwarebytes and tdsskiller to clear it.

I downloaded the applications in safe mode and ran a few scans; although nothing appeared with the tdsskiller, Malwarebytes found several infected registry entries, and one infected file.

All items have been quarantined and deleted.

The popups/scans have stopped, but it won't allow me to open applications. It asks me what program I want to use to open the file.(exe) In some cases it says that the applications haven't been found (eg. all of the options in the control panel).

What do I do now?

Kind regards,

Charlotte.

Hey Chazy91, Here is a link to Bleeping Computer that gives instructions on removing many of these fake av security apps. It does list Windows Home Security 2011, but not 2012.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011

I have a feeling this may work any way. Try to read the whole page before starting anything to understand what needs to be done.

If this doesn't get you sorted, I'm sure someone from Malwarebytes will be to your assistance.

skilz853

Hello, and Welcome to Malwarebytes

Sorry to hear your infected.... you can try and follow the steps located in THIS FAQ to see if you can remove the infection yourself, or if you prefer to have an expert help you one on one, here are the steps needed to get your computer cleaned....

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

You have 3 Options that you can choose from as listed below:

[*]Option 1

Sorry for my getting ahead of myself. I didn't realize it best's to let Malwarebytes handle issues like this.

No worries.... I know your only trying to help. The folks here do an excellent job at helping them remove their infections.

Bleeping Computer is also an excellent source for help with removal.

Cheers!

No worries.... I know your only trying to help. The folks here do an excellent job at helping them remove their infections.

Bleeping Computer is also an excellent source for help with removal.

Cheers!

Yep, I was offering self-help. What would I need to do, to become a Trusted Adviser like you?

sklz853