Can't load computer into safe mode

The computer is a desktop, Windows Vista (home premium, I believe). Blue screen appeared about a day or two ago, and was able to restart the computer in safe mode once so I could try and uninstall and redownload MBAM to try and fix the problem (MBAM wouldn't open, I received a message regarding set associations?). Uninstallation went fine, however, when I tried to re-download the MBAM program, a message describing set associations and using a set associations control panel came up. After viewing other online help forums on how to find the set associations control panel, I couldn't find it at all. I assumed it wasn't accessible in safe mode, so I tried to restart it normally, but the blue screen pops up before the desktop can load, and whenever I try to restart the computer now (and press F8), safe mode doesn't appear as an option, only to either start windows normally, or to run startup repair. When running startup repair, I receive a message saying the computer cannot be fixed automatically, and then it gives me the option to shut the computer down, (tried system restore, but apparently there was no system restore date). Not very familiar with Vista at all (the computer belongs to someone else in my household), and not entirely sure what to do (I'm accessing this forum from a separate computer, thankfully). Any help appreciated, thank you! :)

Hello and :welcome:

Not sure but it sounds like you were trying to fight a possible infection there....

I suggest you post in the HJT section to get one of the experts involved to help you recover that desktop, below are the instructions....

If you think you are infected, here are the steps needed to get your computer cleaned....

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

You have 3 Options that you can choose from as listed below:

[*]Option 1

Hi -

Basic instructions for using safe mode for those who are not infected -

If you are infected please follow the directions above (from Firefox) -

Thank You -

Windows Vista

Using the F8 Method:

1. Restart your computer.

2. When the computer starts you will see your computer's hardware being listed. When you see this information start to gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with the Windows Vista Advanced Boot Options.

3. Select the Safe Mode option using the arrow keys.

4. Then press the enter key on your keyboard to boot into Vista Safe Mode.

5. When Windows starts you will be at a typical logon screen. Logon to your computer and Vista will enter Safe mode.
  6. Do whatever tasks you require, and when you are done, reboot to go back into normal mode.